White mark on powder blue fin

Gar802000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my powder blue has a white mark on his pectoral fin, as in the photo.
5DAEDDCB-41C1-4098-951C-151C171D8BFB.jpeg
It’s the only mark on him, anyone have any ideas what it could be? I first noticed it a couple of days ago but it’s getting more pronounced now.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It’s the only mark on him, anyone have any ideas what it could be? I first noticed it a couple of days ago but it’s getting more pronounced now.
Likely lymphocystis which is viral and a condition rather than disease and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet
What is ammonia and nitrate level?
What foods are you feeding?
Maintain good water quality and diet for improvement and it will go away on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

It could be Lymphocystis, but that is more common on the edge of the fins. Fin damage from a minor injury is another possibility. Not likely to be anything infectious like flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
G

Gar802000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely lymphocystis which is viral and a condition rather than disease and often associated with poor water quality and/or diet
What is ammonia and nitrate level?
What foods are you feeding?
Maintain good water quality and diet for improvement and it will go away on its own
Ammonia is 0, nitrate 2ppm. I feed Spiralina flakes, vitalis marine flakes & mysis. Running a D-D UV steriliser continuously. Had the tank four years, carbon dosing with Bacto-balance for the past two months. Have a bit of red and green cyano that I’ve been trying to get rid of naturally for a few months, but no other problems really. The tank didn’t get fed much whilst I was away for a week two weeks ago, maybe the step back up to normal feeding caused an issue.

Thanks for the reply, hope you’re right and that it will resolve on its own.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ammonia is 0, nitrate 2ppm. I feed Spiralina flakes, vitalis marine flakes & mysis. Running a D-D UV steriliser continuously. Had the tank four years, carbon dosing with Bacto-balance for the past two months. Have a bit of red and green cyano that I’ve been trying to get rid of naturally for a few months, but no other problems really. The tank didn’t get fed much whilst I was away for a week two weeks ago, maybe the step back up to normal feeding caused an issue.

Thanks for the reply, hope you’re right and that it will resolve on its own.
Very inadequate diet. This fish is a herbivore and needs fats , acids and aminos from foods such as:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine
Formula 2 flake and frozen
Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
-Add selcon vitamins to the foods occasionally

what test kits are you using?

OP
OP
G

Gar802000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very inadequate diet. This fish is a herbivore and needs fats , acids and aminos from foods such as:
Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine

Spirulina brine shrimp
LRS herbivore diet
Small plankton
Hikari marine cuisine

Very inadequate diet :) The vitalis flakes by themselves are a complete food source that can be used alone, the manufacturers words not mine. And no, the list of foods I mentioned was not exhaustive. Like the way you said the fish was a herbivore and then listed loads of meat!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The meats YES are what provides aminos, fats and acids which are spirulina infused.
Flakes are a total diet ?? Im glad the manufacturer is correct, The diet I gave you was for a reason but I see the arrogance and will back off and let you figure this out
I know my 18 (19 as of thursday) tangs are doing very well 5+ years of owning most of them)

1651435914668.png
1651435960143.png
1651435983115.png
1651436001770.png

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back