White on Tail Fin

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after going 6 weeks fallow and treating everything with copper + metro and soaking food in Metro + Kana + Focus in a QT everything was fine once back in the DT. Then, I ordered 3 fish from LA/DD which states they quarantine but I did a 14 copper and metro as well as food soaked metro and kanna for these new 3 fish. It’s been 24 hours of having them in the display and I’m noticing white spots on the tail fin and only to tail fins of two fish. The leopard wrasse had a small spot like the flame angle yesterday and now it’s significantly worse. I see nothing on the bodies of any fish and my original fish still have no symptoms whatsoever. I’m hoping this is just a case of lymphocytes? The description in humblefishes 101 post describes the spot “growing” means it’s not Ich or velvet. Also, could be fin rot? The leopard wrasse has a bit of fin missing but I figured it was from the flasher wrasse being overly aggressive when I first had them in QT together....?
Also, everyone is eating extremely well and I’m still feeding the soaked metro and kanna food. No scratching of any kind yet either.
Any thoughts would help!
EC1E56D2-CCA2-4277-8E17-B72D33A59FAE.png
9C853A75-AF6F-4DFE-912F-C540E85B30C9.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like ich - the wrasse seems to have some minor damage from the other wrasse. It isn't unusual for a flame angel to get Lymphocysitis during or after quarantine. No need to panic yet, but keep a close eye on things. A white spot that grows larger and stays in one place more than 36 hours isn't ich.

Jay

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like ich - the wrasse seems to have some minor damage from the other wrasse. It isn't unusual for a flame angel to get Lymphocysitis during or after quarantine. No need to panic yet, but keep a close eye on things. A white spot that grows larger and stays in one place more than 36 hours isn't ich.

Jay
thanks again man! as always, I really appreciate all your help on here! we are lucky to have ya! ill keep you posted with any updates.

OP
OP
Reef Racket

Reef Racket

Reef Racket LLC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
So this morning the Angel fish has nothing at all. This spot did not last 24 hours which I believe is to little of a time for Ich (3-9 days).... the leopard looks much better as well. This is day 3 in the display and no spots in the pre existing fish... does this rule out Ich/velvet? I think I can deal with lymph and fin rot much better than those haha

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this morning the Angel fish has nothing at all. This spot did not last 24 hours which I believe is to little of a time for Ich (3-9 days).... the leopard looks much better as well. This is day 3 in the display and no spots in the pre existing fish... does this rule out Ich/velvet? I think I can deal with lymph and fin rot much better than those haha
Actually, no - when you see a white spot that goes away within 72 hours, you need to watch the fish closely for new spots showing up, as that can indicate it is ich. The full life cycle of ich can be 3-9 days, but the trophonts (white spots) usually just stay visible on the fish for 72 hours. White spots that last more than 72 hours are usually NOT ich.

Jay

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 45 81.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 5 9.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back