White patches on fins of trigger

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sargassum trigger in QT. He has these white patches on his fins. What is this? Also, his tail is usually collapsed, although it is not in this picture. I’m not sure what that means.
83DDF7FC-AC78-4D1B-81E2-9E3F57B6B3A1.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a sargassum trigger in QT. He has these white patches on his fins. What is this? Also, his tail is usually collapsed, although it is not in this picture. I’m not sure what that means.
Do you mean like the white area on the dorsal fin and the small white areas on the anal fin? It's kind of difficult to tell because of the spots on the glass as well. But - there also looks to be some damage to the tail. Could it be injury during collection/transport? It could be scarring from an old infection - flukes perhaps? Can you give any more history?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
From the nips on the tail and looking at expanded size of pic- Looks like fin ray damage.
What iother occupants are in the tank and can be damage also from netting for capture
At this point- Keep an aye on the fin- Should the blemish worsen, treatment in a separate tank as in your quarantine would be Seachem neoplex which address fin and tail issue. Assure it gets proper diet (pellets and flakes will not cut it for this type of fish) which is a carnivore

TangoSukka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Qt just Incase. I had that on one of my fish then ever 4 days the velvet wiped the rest out. I'm now fishless. Never wait

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. As I said, the fish is in QT now. I’ve only had him for three days. He is the only fish in the tank. I am feeding him frozen mysis. I thought you were going to say that it is some kind of fungal infection. No?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies. As I said, the fish is in QT now. I’ve only had him for three days. He is the only fish in the tank. I am feeding him frozen mysis. I thought you were going to say that it is some kind of fungal infection. No?
External fungal disease in marine fish are almost non existent.
I see two different issues - it looks like the erosion on the caudal fin is along the edge. That is commonly caused by another fish biting it (before you got it) or less commonly, from rubbing against a hard surface. The lesions on the dorsal and anal fins seem to be mid fin, so less likely to be an injury.
What is your quarantine protocol? You could add an antibiotic to that for good measure.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He is on 2.4ppm copper power right now. When that’s over I was going to do general cure. I think I’ll try neoplex, as per vetteguy’s suggestion.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s getting worse. The growth on the dorsal fin is thicker. It’s only on one side. And ther is now some on the pectoral fins. I have some better pictures, in case it gives anyone a better idea of what this is.
B5A8A197-E0D5-4400-8455-2F0ECF6E0932.jpeg
A2EA6495-5702-4C58-8462-D468D7281974.jpeg
020CC65E-9E88-43CB-9383-AB5004694634.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely start an antibiotic. Neoplex is one choice.

Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would definitely start an antibiotic. Neoplex is one choice.

Jay
Thanks. I have neoplex. What I am not sure about is when to start it. The fish is on his 10th day of copper, and second day of GC. Should I add the neoplex to this treatment stew? Or do a water change and then add neoplex…?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I have neoplex. What I am not sure about is when to start it. The fish is on his 10th day of copper, and second day of GC. Should I add the neoplex to this treatment stew? Or do a water change and then add neoplex…?
That’s tough. You need to keep the copper up. I would space the GC out to a 9 day interval, then do a partial water change now, run the Neoplex for five days and then do the second GC treatment.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I spoke too soon. There is still some lingering whiteness on his fins. I haven’t been taking pictures every day, but I think it could be getting worse again. So I decided to do a second dose of neoplex, which the instructions say you can do after a week. I did that yesterday. Now he seems unhappy. He’s hanging out in the bubbles of the airstone. Thoughts? Is it the second dose of neoplex? Should I try something else? Do a water change?

78DE27C5-4C06-45D2-AB2F-ACC4D934AC38.jpeg

E15D257F-3066-4F1B-9498-3FC6C19DCBE0.jpeg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A second dose of Neoplex should not have caused an issue. Are there any other fish in the tank? If so, and if they are normal, I think you can rule out some toxic issue with the Neoplex.
Is the trigger breathing fast?
Have you tested the ammonia today?
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He’s alone. I haven’t tested the ammonia. It should have been fine though. But I did just go ahead and do a 50% water change. He seem too distressed, and I wasn’t sure if anyone would see my post. Can you suggest what I should do now? If you don’t think the Neoplex was the cause of his distress, should I add more Neoplex back?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. He’s alone. I haven’t tested the ammonia. It should have been fine though. But I did just go ahead and do a 50% water change. He seem too distressed, and I wasn’t sure if anyone would see my post. Can you suggest what I should do now? If you don’t think the Neoplex was the cause of his distress, should I add more Neoplex back?
I think you need to get the tank checked for ammonia if you can. Antibiotics can kill the beneficial bacteria in a tank, causing ammonia levels to rise.
If the fish improves after the water change, that tells you it is something in the water.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still in the bubbles after the water change. I measured .29 ammonia with my Hannah checker. Salinity is 1.025, ph is 7.9, temp is 79F. So I get .012 toxic ammonia. Do you think ammonia is/was the issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s still in the bubbles after the water change. I measured .29 ammonia with my Hannah checker. Salinity is 1.025, ph is 7.9, temp is 79F. So I get .012 toxic ammonia. Do you think ammonia is/was the issue?
After a 50% water change it would have higher, probably around 0.50 ppm (not double because it is still building up). This is pretty high, but you pH is relatively low, rendering more of it non-toxic. I would say this is a contributing, but probably not the sole factor here. I would redose the Neoplex in this case since the fish improved with it, just monitor the ammonia.
Jay

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! The fish is really struggling now, he’s close to the surface above the air stone, and keeps splashing with his tail, trying to get lower in the water column. I’ll be happily surprised if he makes it through the night.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back