White Slime Sulfur Smell Cycling Tank

ReefEsq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm cycling a Nuvo 10 to hold a clownfish and some coral from my main reef while I redo the stand and plumbing on it. Once upon a time, I was going to set up the Nuvo 10 as a desktop nano, but I only got as far as buying some sand to put it in it. That sand dried out, but I figured why not leave it in. The only bacteria I added to the Nuvo 10 was a filter bag of sand I kept in the sump should this need ever arise. I also added what was left of an unexpired bottle of waste away and refresh. Probably under 3mL of each. (this was probably dumb, but my thinking was that it wasn't enough for anything to do with my main reef anyways, so why not start it up with a little more bacteria.

I filled the Nuvo 10 with saltwater last week, and as of yesterday, I'm noticing an awful sulfur smell in my room coming from the tank, along with some white slime on the surface of the water. Any ideas on what this might be/how to fix? Thanks!

Copingwithpods

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you rinse the sand that dried out before adding it?

Thinking out loud here, could it be the bag of sand in your sump developed a dead spot in the center releasing sulfur once placed in the new tank(disturbed)?

OP
OP
ReefEsq

ReefEsq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could very well be it. I don't really move it at all while it's in my sump. Probably nothing to do except drain the water and refill with new, right?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sulfur ie rotten egg = stinky hydrogen sulfide gas. Most common cause is the breakdown of organic matter with the absence of oxygen. Break surface with a powerhead or use a air stone.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 15.8%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 74 43.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back