White sponge kind of growth on my rocks

sumithnarayanan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have below kind of growth all over my live rocks, I am not sure whether it is harmful for the ecosystem, it keeps growing all over.

Is there a way to control it? Should i take each rock and clean up ? Any suggestions?
harmful for the fishes and others.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.41.08 AM.png

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I have below kind of growth all over my live rocks, I am not sure whether it is harmful for the ecosystem, it keeps growing all over.

Is there a way to control it? Should i take each rock and clean up ? Any suggestions?
harmful for the fishes and others.

Screen Shot 2020-12-02 at 9.41.08 AM.png
I have a white sponge that's been very slowly growing on one rock for many years. Hasn't taken over by any means. I will try and shoot a pic of it this eve for comparison. If you saying it's all over your rocks that might be a bit much though.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not understand "they don't like air very much" . Should I add more bubble makers?
no, air exposure kills them. so if it was on the rock before you put it in your system, unless you kept that rock submerged in water while putting it in to your tank, likely it is dead.

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant it looked dead because it looks white. my bad, I read over the part where you said it was spreading, so obviously it is not dead. sponges generally die if they are exposed to air as it get's trapped in them. that becomes a dead spot and usually spreads through the sponge killing it. personally I would leave it and let it do it's thing. a live sponge covered area grows no algae.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Its poriferan sponge which can be evasive. Rather than exposing to air, you can inject air into it via syringe or vinegar via syringe also works.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back