White Sponge?

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like some kind of sponge? Not sure, its growing all over my candy. Any idea what it is and if its bad to have on the coral?

candy1.jpg

candy2.jpg

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that is sponge. Harmless filter feeder. You can always use a soft toothbrush to get it off.

Edit to add: it can grow over coral which will kill it so just make sure it does t get to close.

OP
OP
MikeO5422

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm I don't like that one bit, especially because its hard to see the underside of that coral. Would dipping the coral kill it?

Lovemyreef2015

Reefing Mom!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dipped a coral just for sponge. I just take a soft tooth brush and brush it away. It comes off very easily so I don't see a need to dip.

OP
OP
MikeO5422

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to get a lot of it off but not all. It had spider web like consistency to it. A bit lighter than slime algae. Alot got released into the water column, hope thats ok!

OP
OP
MikeO5422

MikeO5422

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, this sponge has gotten out of control and my candy has started to bleach. I am not 100% confident the sponge is killing the candy, but I don't see what else could be doing it. The heads are bleaching from the inside out, which is where the highest concentration of sponge is. The heads start with bleach streaks on them which align with how the sponge protrudes from the coral (like tentacles. You cant really see it in the picture).

I dipped the candy and scraped off as much sponge as I could but there is still tons of sponge in the center that I will never be able to touch without fagging the coral.

Does anyone have any advice on how to kill this sponge without fragging the coral? Maybe a fresh water dip? Or an animal that would eat it?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back