White spongy/mold overtaking acan?

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasnt sure which forum to post this in, but one of my favorite acans went from being huge and healthy to having a softish looking white spongy material overtaking it. It almost looks like white mold, but im baffled. Any idea what this is? Id had this frag in my tank for over a year, and just started a new tank about 5 months ago. Also, see the little tube growing on it? Ive had these on other frags, do i just leave or break them off?

26F1AA7F-5E21-4B66-A52D-1BB704FA1D21.jpeg

OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may be a better pic, i turned down the blues. Just dont understand, its the one acan out of like 20 frags that isnt doing well

8D7F400C-A118-4FDD-BCFC-0D0E7E38EB9B.jpeg

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks to be receding more than being "taken over". Id try a quick FW dip and put it in a lower light/ flow area for a day or so to see if the recession slows

Brad Miller

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn on all white lights and take another pic.
Skeleton would look different than “mold”....could be a white sponge growing on the frag and smothering it out.
Those tubes appear to be Vermetid snails

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pics too blue making it all look the same surrounding centers

Auto-pilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the stuff overtaking the coral might be a bacterial disease
Edit: looking at the picture it looks like a disease called Brown jelly. Its a bacterial infection and it blows off easy

Last edited:
OP
OP
X

xxxtremewv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that i am doing research on vermitid snails i think i am leaning towards that being the irritant. Never had had dealt with them before for some reason but now that i look harder i see some more in my tank. Ill take a better picture tomorrow with all white light. I guess from the horror stories im reading i need to take a pair of tweezers and go to town on them. Thanks guys!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it helps, I have the same thing. It's an associated benthic sponge that adheres to skeletal portions like exposed septal ridges etc

Harmless but will cause extended polyp growth to compensate.. upwards growth vs lateral

It is removed in a few surgical sessions of toothpicking it out while rinsing in saltwater, free of the growth. Next, use a dropper and apply peroxide at 1.5% or 3% diluted by half water half 3%=1.5% to the cleaned areas, as cellular cleanup, mostly avoiding the polyp. Let sit 30 seconds and rinse off. Test a 1/4 section of the frag first, no acan is expected to have bad peroxide reaction as every one ever tested in the peroxide thread for years has passed fine.

It will persist until physically removed, it is not a product of parameters or anything other than common sponge transfer vectors, 100% sure. In nature something would just eat it, although if one or more random water adjustments starved it or killed it that's no surprise, but hard to harness and repeat. What works is frag dental technique

Back