White spot - Copper treatments not working

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The videos seemed to be private, I couldn’t view them. The screen shot is of a ciliate, so almost assuredly Cryptocaryon.
Jay

OP
OP
X

Xyclade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given it looks like Cryptocaryon I'll just keep going with the copper a while longer.

Would it make sense to order some Formalin 37% (found some specifically for (koi) fish treatment ) to give some baths for extra release, or is it rather not combined with the copper treatment?

OP
OP
X

Xyclade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief status update:
After the advise to keep going with copper I've gradually raised the level further from 0.6 to 0.72 and kept it at that level. In addition I've been keeping a close eye on the hippo tang since she is showing most signs.

On 2nd of september not much has changed. I took a swap from the glass wall of the QT and found it was infested with ich:
1599597553703.png

After that I've taken the fish into 3 separate buckets, to scrub down the complete QT including equipment with Vinegar and bring the copper level back up to the 0.72 range before placing the fish back. In addition I added a dose of 2 ML of Formalin 37% After that I started to see a decline in numbers.

Today, even though there are still clear spots on the Hippo, the amount can now be counted. In addition I've done a new skin scrape today as well. The main difference I noticed with this scrape is that I had to look around a bit, whereas in the previous scrape they were all over the place. As the copper treatment was there for a while now, and the raise didn't seem to have impact I suspect the real reason for improvement to be the formalin dosing and scrub of the tank.

26 Aug skin scrape
1599598099748.png

08 Sept skin scrape (zoomed out 1.5x in comparison to above)
1599597998529.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief status update:
After the advise to keep going with copper I've gradually raised the level further from 0.6 to 0.72 and kept it at that level. In addition I've been keeping a close eye on the hippo tang since she is showing most signs.

On 2nd of september not much has changed. I took a swap from the glass wall of the QT and found it was infested with ich:
1599597553703.png

After that I've taken the fish into 3 separate buckets, to scrub down the complete QT including equipment with Vinegar and bring the copper level back up to the 0.72 range before placing the fish back. In addition I added a dose of 2 ML of Formalin 37% After that I started to see a decline in numbers.

Today, even though there are still clear spots on the Hippo, the amount can now be counted. In addition I've done a new skin scrape today as well. The main difference I noticed with this scrape is that I had to look around a bit, whereas in the previous scrape they were all over the place. As the copper treatment was there for a while now, and the raise didn't seem to have impact I suspect the real reason for improvement to be the formalin dosing and scrub of the tank.

26 Aug skin scrape
1599598099748.png

08 Sept skin scrape (zoomed out 1.5x in comparison to above)
1599597998529.png
Just to fill in some details; the protozoans that came off the tank wall have stalks, so are not ich. I can only see air bubbles in the skin scrape shots.
Jay

OP
OP
X

Xyclade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to fill in some details; the protozoans that came off the tank wall have stalks, so are not ich.

Ah thats good to know, I had expected those to also be ich...

I can only see air bubbles in the skin scrape shots.
Jay

Is that the case for both shots? The fish were still showing visual signs of Ich or any other parasite when those scrapes were taken. I'd expected at least the 26 Aug skin scrape to contain Ich, as those black circles were filled with small dots and didn't look anything like air bubbles in the microscope or on the plate.

Hi Xyclade,

How is the tank and fish doing now?

Unfortunately the last 3 also perished :confused: I think the prolonged duration and heavier medication has gotten the best of them.

I've been licking my wounds for a bit now, decontaminated all equipment and the quarantine tank using vinegar and water above temp of 40 degrees Celcius (104F), and it's now been dry for 2 weeks...

IMG_2221.jpg

As of now I have no plan to get new fish yet. I've been focusing on finding out what went wrong, as all my fish were healthy and doing well in my Red Sea Reefer 170. After the upgrade to my Red Sea peninsula 650, things went completely haywire. Since the maintenance on the 650 has not been easy, and it felt like lots of things were not functioning as expected I am revising the whole system.

So far I've built a completely new 6 stage RO/DI water system, redesigned the sump, plumbing, upgraded the UV unit, introduced ozon, a Neptune trident, upgraded my powerheads and am about to install 2 DOS to auto dose CA, MG, and KH automatically. In addition a redundant power supply will be installed, as most of it is now powered by only 1 PSU. Once all of that is done I'll come up with a new fish plan and quarantine protocol... I'll soon be sharing some of the build pics and details in separate parts of the forum...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the August 26 image, I count 6 distinct air bubbles. That isn't ich. Doesn't mean the fish didn't have parasites, just that they don't show in those shots. Finding parasites on slides is pretty tricky. Personally, I don't have enough patience, I tend to look, not see anything and then give up. I now call in one of my staff and she takes a better look and often finds things I missed!

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im thinking velvet or crypto

OP
OP
X

Xyclade

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the luck is not with me.... I've recently bought a few clown fish to get started again with fish... These have been in a QT but seem to be having issues again. continuing in a new thread

Last edited:

rebels23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far the luck is not with me.... I've recently bought a few clown fish to get started again with fish... These have been in a QT but seem to be having issues again. continuing in a new thread

Sorry to hear that. Would a hydrogen peroxide dip help? Supposedly would get surface parasites (flukes, brook, Uronema, velvet, etc.)

Back