White Spot on Coral Beauty

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then, if @Humblefish agrees, I'd say wait and see. For now

I agree, wait & see. Just out of an abundance of caution.

Anything in particular I should watch for?

Basically, just for that spot to heal/go away. Also, it would make me feel better if she didn't hide so much. How strong of an appetite does she have when you feed?

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, it would make me feel better if she didn't hide so much. How strong of an appetite does she have when you feed?

So I sat and watched her behaviour this morning while I was drinking my tea. Actually watched what she was doing rather than looking for spots.

I think perhaps she is just doing her angel thing. My other fish are all more or less stationary. The CB seems to patrol the tank like a sheepdog, pecking at selected spots, including inside the caves and tunnels. Although there was a fair amount of time when I couldn't see her, it didn't seem unreasonable that she was just busy inside the rocks or on the other side. She would pop up again to make the rounds and then dive back into a tunnel.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I sat and watched her behaviour this morning while I was drinking my tea. Actually watched what she was doing rather than looking for spots.

I think perhaps she is just doing her angel thing. My other fish are all more or less stationary. The CB seems to patrol the tank like a sheepdog, pecking at selected spots, including inside the caves and tunnels. Although there was a fair amount of time when I couldn't see her, it didn't seem unreasonable that she was just busy inside the rocks or on the other side. She would pop up again to make the rounds and then dive back into a tunnel.

Then it's just waiting to see if the mark improves/goes away. I'm starting to believe Meredith is right; its just a few missing or damaged scales.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking I may need to name her Calamity Jane.

LOL

I had a PBT with ich, flukes, a bacterial infection and some sort of weird stomach ailment that caused her to bloat after eating red nori. :eek: During the ups & downs of treatment, I started calling her "Typhoid Mary". Wife didn't like that so we renamed her "Mary Kay".

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm actually pretty excited about getting a fish that will use all the neat tunnels I worked so hard to build. Only the shrimp and the starfish hang out there now.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming she looks good, my plan was to move the CB and the Flame into DT during the weekend when I am around to watch. Do you have a recommendation on time of day? Moonlight or early morning, I'd guess?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming she looks good, my plan was to move the CB and the Flame into DT during the weekend when I am around to watch. Do you have a recommendation on time of day? Moonlight or early morning, I'd guess?

That would be fine. A time when the tank lights haven't come on just yet may give them time to find a hidy hole before the other fish start pestering the "new guys". It would probably be fine either way though.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, tonight I can't see the spot anymore, so I am assuming it was a minor mishap.

The Flame is two weeks out of TTM today and Calamity Jane has been out of TTM 3 1/2 weeks so barring any further problems I am going to call it and move them into the DT sometime this weekend. The mocha clown finished TTM tonight and is thoroughly tired of QT. I think she misses all her siblings.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked on Calamity Jane before bed last night and darned if she didn't have another white spot. This one didn't look the same -more like a tiny speck of something. Much smaller than my sand. Couldn't believe it.

I went to bed reassuring myself that there isn't any way she could have a parasite at this point.

This morning the spot was gone. Phew. Pretty sure it must have been fishy lint, right?

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, the two angels went in the DT last night. As I expected, the Flame has taken charge of the tank. Calamity Jane has found a little cave in the back of one of the tunnels to use as her spot. Fortunately, I can see the entrance from the front of the tank. She sneaks out and explores until the Flame notices and chases her back.

I am going to get a couple of mirrors to distract him. There are lots of tunnels, so he can't be everywhere at once. Hopefully, he will get used to her in a couple of days.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went out and did some chores and got one of the $6 four foot mirrors from Lowe's. They'd already settled some by the time I got back, with the Coral Beauty out and about. I saw one chase around a rock that seemed pretty half-hearted. I leaned the mirror against the tank anyway and the Flame and my Banggai are both pacing in front of it. Can a fish have a heart attack from frustration? I may have to take it away to let them rest.

OP
OP
CarrieB

CarrieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Six days in the big tank. The Flame will chase the Coral Beauty around a corner sometimes, but not always. The CB is smaller and apparently quicker, and keeps an eye out for the Flame, but still wanders all over the tank, so I am declaring a success.

5934ae61042c7ccbcf4286a96e51d105.jpg
de133dd116a963acdd0046b265b1277a.jpg

So now I just have the mocha clown in QT. She's eight days post TTM (with two doses of Prazi). She was in a home tank with a bunch of siblings for 10 months before I got her. I need someone to tell me I really need to wait for another six days because I am really tempted to move her into the DT tomorrow. What do you think?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now I just have the mocha clown in QT. She's eight days post TTM (with two doses of Prazi). She was in a home tank with a bunch of siblings for 10 months before I got her. I need someone to tell me I really need to wait for another six days because I am really tempted to move her into the DT tomorrow. What do you think?

Wait the 6 days. ;) It can take velvet a full month to rear it's ugly head sometimes.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back