White spot on tail of Copper Band Butterfly?

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this fish from LFS 6 days ago. He is eating very well and behaving 'normal'. The spot on the back of his tail fin appeared 2 days ago. There are 5 other fish in the tank and none appear to have any issues.

Any ideas what this spot is? Should I quarantine the fish? Catching him will not be easy.

20210806_144244.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot is sharp-edged, on the trailing edge of the fin - I would say it is 100% Lymphocystis, a viral disease common in CBB. It may produce additional spots, but will generally go away on its own after 4 to 6 weeks as the fish is able to overcome the viral load.

The nape of the fish looks a bit thin. Good that it is eating, but feed it multiple times a day and try to bulk it up a bit.

What about that largish discolored patch on the lower part of the fish, between the two mid-body bars? Is that just from the photo, or do you see it in real life?

Jay

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That spot is sharp-edged, on the trailing edge of the fin - I would say it is 100% Lymphocystis, a viral disease common in CBB. It may produce additional spots, but will generally go away on its own after 4 to 6 weeks as the fish is able to overcome the viral load.

The nape of the fish looks a bit thin. Good that it is eating, but feed it multiple times a day and try to bulk it up a bit.

What about that largish discolored patch on the lower part of the fish, between the two mid-body bars? Is that just from the photo, or do you see it in real life?

Jay

Thanks for the quick response and information. The 'discolored patch' is just an artifact of the photo lighting. There is no discolored patch there.

At the store he ate Mysis great however it took about 48 hours after he was brought home before he started eating and now it's a race between him and Midas Blenny to see who can eat the most Mysis. I am feeding the tank 3-4 small portions of different food per day. The CBB has also started pounding on the small Masstick blobs I stick to glass.

OP
OP
Onewolf

Onewolf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else this little mini crisis pushed me to get a QT tank setup/running. I have a 20H I've used as a temp tank when moving tanks in the past, but now it will be my dedicated SW QT tank.

I've had aquariums/fish for 5 years and this is the first time I've had a 'health' issue....

Attachments

• 20210806_163346.jpg
    20210806_163346.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 69

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If nothing else this little mini crisis pushed me to get a QT tank setup/running. I have a 20H I've used as a temp tank when moving tanks in the past, but now it will be my dedicated SW QT tank.

I've had aquariums/fish for 5 years and this is the first time I've had a 'health' issue....
It's good to have a qt/hospital tank setup but a fish having lympho isn't much of a health issue. It was more of a health scare LOL

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't move a copperband for lympho. There is no treatment except good water quality, low stress, and quality food.

The fish is thin, feed it often... LRS, live worms, and fresh clams from a market would be perfect.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about lympho. Just feed and observe.

*But*, once the fish is in your display, it is too late to "quarantine".

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, you don’t need to move the CBB for lymphocystis - save this tank for the next crisis!
Jay

rwreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, you don’t need to move the CBB for lymphocystis - save this tank for the next crisis!
Jay
@Jay Hemdal I know this is an old thread but I have a CB with lymphocystis currently in QT. CB is eating mysis. Is it okay to place in my DT without worrying about other fish getting lymphocystis? Note, I bought this CB fully QTd from DrQtreef online. Fish is a healthy eater and not thin.

Thanks
RWReef

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal I know this is an old thread but I have a CB with lymphocystis currently in QT. CB is eating mysis. Is it okay to place in my DT without worrying about other fish getting lymphocystis? Note, I bought this CB fully QTd from DrQtreef online. Fish is a healthy eater and not thin.

Thanks
RWReef
The lmphocystis wouldn’t be a problem for moving the CBB over. Since it was fully quarantined, other diseases aren’t much of an issue. I think you are pretty safe moving it over to your DT.
Jay

Back