White spot on tail

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my Royal Gramma has a large white spot on its tail and I think I know what it is but I want a second (or more) opinion.

Background: it has been in this tank for 2 weeks and was quarantined without issue.

My clownfish had two smaller spots on its tail 3 weeks ago but they had a similar appearance.

Everyone is eating, swimming, breathing, and acting normally.

IMG_6635.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my Royal Gramma has a large white spot on its tail and I think I know what it is but I want a second (or more) opinion.

Background: it has been in this tank for 2 weeks and was quarantined without issue.

My clownfish had two smaller spots on its tail 3 weeks ago but they had a similar appearance.

Everyone is eating, swimming, breathing, and acting normally.

IMG_6635.JPG
IMG_6632.JPG
Looks like lymphocystis which is a condition rather than parasite and is often triggered by Poor water quailty, diet or both. Poor water quality can be the water from where you purchased fish, your tank in need of water change or change in water conditions after purchase.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are NOT elevated and are monitored by reliable test kits. As for food, this is Not a flake and pellet diet only fish and should be offered foods such as LRS fish frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and hikari marine cuisine.
Providing good water quality and diet will allow the dot you see to fall off on its own.

OP
OP
B

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like lymphocystis which is a condition rather than parasite and is often triggered by Poor water quailty, diet or both. Poor water quality can be the water from where you purchased fish, your tank in need of water change or change in water conditions after purchase.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are NOT elevated and are monitored by reliable test kits. As for food, this is Not a flake and pellet diet only fish and should be offered foods such as LRS fish frenzy, spirulina brine shrimp, mysis shrimp and hikari marine cuisine.
Providing good water quality and diet will allow the dot you see to fall off on its own.
I was thinking the same. Stress of move plus not eating well for about 4 or 5 days brought it on was my working theory. It has been eating better the last 5 or 6 days.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Lymphocystis - as others have said - ignore it unless there is progression.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the same. Stress of move plus not eating well for about 4 or 5 days brought it on was my working theory. It has been eating better the last 5 or 6 days.
Plus royal gramma are super prone to getting that……
Jay

OP
OP
B

Biochembob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 days later and it's all clear! I added 1 cube of mysis shrimp (1/2 cube per day) in place of pellets and started adding vitamins to the pellets I was feeding. I backed my homemade frozen fish liver/meat cubes down to every other week. All my fish have better color and no outward signs of infection.

Thanks everyone.

IMG_20220730_111644.jpg

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 31 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 9.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 22 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back