OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks more like Lympho: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/lymphocystis.257461/

A worm is another possibility, but it should move if it is that. Unless it has burrowed in.
Humble. Thank you for your response. So no treatment. Alright. Is it contagious? I added a golden dwarf 3 days ago. Could the stress of that have caused an outbreak? Also, my seachem ammonia badge hit alert yesterday. Saying it's at .05. I thought that odd. My tank is 2 years old and have only ever had a ich outbreak. Which I went fallow for.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humble. Thank you for your response. So no treatment. Alright. Is it contagious? I added a golden dwarf 3 days ago. Could the stress of that have caused an outbreak? Also, my seachem ammonia badge hit alert yesterday. Saying it's at .05. I thought that odd. My tank is 2 years old and have only ever had a ich outbreak. Which I went fallow for.

Lympho is contagious but also unavoidable IMO. It's like HSV-1 aka cold sores... seems like only a matter of time before you kiss someone that has it. ;Yuck

I would double check that ammonia reading against a test kit.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho is contagious but also unavoidable IMO. It's like HSV-1 aka cold sores... seems like only a matter of time before you kiss someone that has it. ;Yuck

I would double check that ammonia reading against a test kit.
Ugh. Alright. Well I can't double check my ammonia just yet as I can't purchase an ammonia kit right meow. I did a 10% water change just in case and plan on doing another in a day or so. As far as the lympho goes; I suppose I'll just watch it and see how bad it gets. If anything changes, I'll tag ya Humble! ;) thanks for you help again!

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Did another water change. Badge hasn't changed at all. Also a quick note; I've found 2 dead hermit crabs. One about a week ago under a liverock that had a little cave below it. Another tonight. Both out of their shells just laying on the sand dead. Odd or????

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is an injury? A bit difficult to tell in this pics.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is an injury? A bit difficult to tell in this pics.
Nah. I've since moved him to my QT to limit the possibility of my eel or dragonet getting sick. He has a cloudy kind of fuzzy growth going on his dorsal fin. The one on his gill has gotten a bit smaller. Gonna watch and see how it develops over the next week or so.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I've since moved him to my QT to limit the possibility of my eel or dragonet getting sick. He has a cloudy kind of fuzzy growth going on his dorsal fin. The one on his gill has gotten a bit smaller. Gonna watch and see how it develops over the next week or so.

What is your treatment plan?

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your treatment plan?
Didn't really have one since I agree with Humble that it's Lympho. It it turns out to be something else or I decide to treat for a secondary infection; I got Kenaplex and Metroplex on standby. Along with Furan 2

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your posted pic I'm +1 with humble on the lymphocysts
Do you have any coral in the DT if you have hi ammonia they will usually close up. You can also double check the ammonia badge by placing it in some fresh saltwater it could take 4-6 hrs to return to the normal color. Just a couple ideas you could look at or try until u get a kit

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your posted pic I'm +1 with humble on the lymphocysts
Do you have any coral in the DT if you have hi ammonia they will usually close up. You can also double check the ammonia badge by placing it in some fresh saltwater it could take 4-6 hrs to return to the normal color duing this
I do have some birdsnest that kind of closed up a little bit, but it's back normal now. Was closed up for about half a day. Anemones, Xenia, and zoas are all out and fine. I'll try the badge thing in fresh water. Didn't think of that.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have some birdsnest that kind of closed up a little bit, but it's back normal now. Was closed up for about half a day. Anemones, Xenia, and zoas are all out and fine. I'll try the badge thing in fresh water. Didn't think of that.
Also You mentioned that your tank is a few yrs old if the badge is that old also it might be no good there only good for about a year

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also double check the ammonia badge by placing it in some fresh saltwater it could take 4-6 hrs to return to the normal color.
Also You mentioned that your tank is a few yrs old if the badge is that old also it might be no good there only good for about a year

+1 The ammonia badge can take several hours to return to "SAFE" after turning green.

You can always test the badge's effectiveness by dosing ammonium hydroxide (i.e. Household ammonia) into a bucket of water and seeing how accurately it measures the ammonia level.

Use this calculator as a dosing guide: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AmmoniaCycling.php

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 The ammonia badge can take several hours to return to "SAFE" after turning green.

You can always test the badge's effectiveness by dosing ammonium hydroxide (i.e. Household ammonia) into a bucket of water and seeing how accurately it measures the ammonia level.

Use this calculator as a dosing guide: https://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/AmmoniaCycling.php
Great! I'll try all that. Any idea about the crabs? Can't really tell if it's just them molting or if it's indeed their dead bodies.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To test the badge to see if it reads ammonia I just open a bottle of ammonia and place the badge close to the top of the bottle and the fumes will change it

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
Thoughts? About 5 seconds in there's a small white spot just below his rear dorsal fin on his right side. Then there's the obvious greyish clear spot toward the top of his first dorsal fin.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Davis The white spot I'm unsure about (probably Lympho?); but the grey area could be the very beginnings of a bacterial infection. If this were my clown, I'd probably run him thru Kanaplex + Metroplex for 10 days just for peace of mind.

OP
OP
Aaron Davis

Aaron Davis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Aaron Davis The white spot I'm unsure about (probably Lympho?); but the grey area could be the very beginnings of a bacterial infection. If this were my clown, I'd probably run him thru Kanaplex + Metroplex for 10 days just for peace of mind.
Great! So I dose those together yes? Just follow the dosing instructions on the box or do you typically reduce the dosage on one a little bit since they're being used together?

The original white spot I was concerned about on his gill was gone in 2 days.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! So I dose those together yes? Just follow the dosing instructions on the box or do you typically reduce the dosage on one a little bit since they're being used together?

Use them together and dose full strength. They contain completely different active ingredients, so no risk of overdosing.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back