White spot or not?

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Got a purple tank from my lfs 2 weeks ago. Put her in my qt tank where she seemed to be doing fine so yesterday I put her in my DT. Today I notice these little white spots on her. About 6 on one side and 2 on the other by her tail. Just to be safe or put her back in my qt.
I have white sand and she spends a lot of time between the rocks getting cleaned by my cleaner shrimps so it's possible it could be sand?

I've attached some pictures in the hope you may be able to help?!

Doesn't make it easy when she's moving and the glass on my qt tank isn't gleaming but you can see the 2 white spots be her tail. The weird thing is, since putting her in there I can only see 2 or 3 of the original spots on the other side so what do I do?
DSC_1141.JPG
DSC_1140.JPG
DSC_1139.JPG

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. Got a purple tank from my lfs 2 weeks ago. Put her in my qt tank where she seemed to be doing fine so yesterday I put her in my DT. Today I notice these little white spots on her. About 6 on one side and 2 on the other by her tail. Just to be safe or put her back in my qt.
I have white sand and she spends a lot of time between the rocks getting cleaned by my cleaner shrimps so it's possible it could be sand?

I've attached some pictures in the hope you may be able to help?!

Doesn't make it easy when she's moving and the glass on my qt tank isn't gleaming but you can see the 2 white spots be her tail. The weird thing is, since putting her in there I can only see 2 or 3 of the original spots on the other side so what do I do?
DSC_1141.JPG
DSC_1140.JPG
DSC_1139.JPG
Could be ich, just watch the spots, if they come and go each day, and start to increase n number, it is probably ich. Did you medicate with anything while the fish was in the QT?
Jay

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be ich, just watch the spots, if they come and go each day, and start to increase n number, it is probably ich. Did you medicate with anything while the fish was in the QT?
Jay
No I didn't. I didn't want to medicate for the sake of it if there was nothing wrong. I may have panicked and jumped the gun because my wife said one of the spots glistened like sand would and last night all but 1 in of the spots had gone and the only one left was the size of a needle tip.
I'll keep an eye on her and see if any more develop. There's no sand in the qt tank so I'll know for sure if it is ich

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I'm sure it's ich now, even though there are no longer spots but yesterday she was heavy breathing and hasn't eaten for 48 hours. I've started medication and keeping my fingers crossed.
I contacted the lfs I got her from as he mentioned when I bought her that I'm not to use the water from his tank as it contains copper. That made me a bit suspicious as it made me think he knows he had in ich problem so was treating it.
His reply was that he treats all new livestock with hyposalinity and runs copper through his entire system as he has a lot of tangs so wants to prevent ich getting into his system.

The guys is really knowledgeable and I do trust him. He suggested I may already have ich in my tank from other fish, inverts or corals which have never been quarantined our treated.

I'm guessing now it just a case of managing the situation. I'm going to get a UV setup next week so at least I can try and keep it at a minimum.

Any other tips greatly received

OP
OP
AVVITT

AVVITT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
received_926344637935551.jpeg
Ok so after 3 days in qt with medication, she was found dead this morning. Apart from her fast breathing, her appearance looked fine until this morning where it looks like she's gone very white

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 117 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back