White Spot

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface which is covered in white spot. Being treated with Polyp lab medic. The other fish which includes a yellow tang, dwarf angels and pair of Clowns show nothing. This has been a week but what I find strange is that the white spot (hundreds) always disappear on the foxface by 4pm but returns before lights at 8am. This is every day. The others remain spotless. All fish Inc the foxface are swimming and eating as normal. No scraping or distress by any inc the foxface. Why should the foxface be peppered with whitespot til mid afternoon then disappear like magic and does not show any signs of distress. This is 5 days of the same, confused why it is not suffering and why the disease comes and go each day. Any ideas

Aboynamedsous2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a foxface which is covered in white spot. Being treated with Polyp lab medic. The other fish which includes a yellow tang, dwarf angels and pair of Clowns show nothing. This has been a week but what I find strange is that the white spot (hundreds) always disappear on the foxface by 4pm but returns before lights at 8am. This is every day. The others remain spotless. All fish Inc the foxface are swimming and eating as normal. No scraping or distress by any inc the foxface. Why should the foxface be peppered with whitespot til mid afternoon then disappear like magic and does not show any signs of distress. This is 5 days of the same, confused why it is not suffering and why the disease comes and go each day. Any ideas
Possibly a parasite? I don’t think it’s Ick. I’m not an expert but I believe that it could be the issue.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see any pictures of the fish but doesnt sound like a paraaite to just attach to a fish then after 8- 12 hours then every single parasite detached.
Some fish including foxfaces change colours,sometimes lose colour if stressed or ill plus many other reasons and can camoflage at night to blend into there surroundings so dont get eaten so could it possibly just this as it only happenning at night/first few hours qhen lights come on?
I was only talking to someone last night on here about their foxface and i said with their venomous spines they could be a right bully/ menace if they wanted to be but other person said a big coward and scared off own shadow at times ha ha ^_^

But how big are these spots?
All over body or just on fins?
All same colour or different shades? .
Some pictures .may help others try help you out and tell you what it is or what it isnt.
Actually thinking what i said about camoflage and blending in at night doesn't really fit into " hundreds of white spots"

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cant see any pictures of the fish but doesnt sound like a paraaite to just attach to a fish then after 8- 12 hours then every single parasite detached.
Some fish including foxfaces change colours,sometimes lose colour if stressed or ill plus many other reasons and can camoflage at night to blend into there surroundings so dont get eaten so could it possibly just this as it only happenning at night/first few hours qhen lights come on?
I was only talking to someone last night on here about their foxface and i said with their venomous spines they could be a right bully/ menace if they wanted to be but other person said a big coward and scared off own shadow at times ha ha ^_^

Some pictures .may help others try help you out and tell you what it is or what it isnt.
Actually thinking what i said about camoflage and blending in at night doesn't really fit into " hundreds of white spots"
Defo peppered with salt like spots. Looks like ich bit cannot understand its behaviour. I did Introduce a regal tang 2 weeks ago which became peppered and died quite quickly. The foxface seems to be suffering the same condition but isn't ill, feeds well, does not hide and yet these spots disappear each day to return the next with zero ill effect. Plus the other fish are not infected unless they are immune to it. Rather unbelievable 2 Clowns, dwarf Parrot, blenny, Coral Beauty, bicolour dwarf and yellow tang looking perfect and doing very well.... its just the foxface who does not behave ill but is peppered with I think is ich

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Grains of salt all over body and fins... I can only think they have not infected the gills just yet

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grains of salt all over body and fins... I can only think they have not infected the gills just yet
Seems logical but why disappear every day and return the next. My LFS said the ich they often jump off and on... I don't buy this as why the same fish. Plus I know he sleeps next to the wavemaker which should blow any free swimming buggers away from him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like Cryptocaryon / ich. A good picture would help confirm that though.

I suspect what you are seeing is a fish that is managing the ich parasites, at least partially. The trophonts drop off and turn into tomonts. These rest in the gravel and then release theronts which go back and reinfect the fish. Some people say there is a day/night cycle to this, but to be honest, I think under artificial lights, the cycle gets all muddled.

This is not a stable condition though! Either the fish will eventually beat the infection back, or it will increase in severity and the fish will die if untreated. My experience is if the fish has more than 30 to 50 spots on it, it will go the way of the disease.

Jay

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well day 20 of treating Polyp lab medic today and good news there are no traces of white spot, the foxface seems to have survived after having hundreds of spots 6 days ago to zero today, each day the numbers decreased. Will continue treatment few days more as no doubt free flowing little buggers will still be around after yesterday's spot drops. Fingers crossed the foxface immunity has increased through the week. I have to accept the tank is living with the disease for the foreseeable and any new introduction is to kick it all off again

OP
OP
W

Wilsonbem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update guys, you may remember I don't have a QT and therefore I am playing Russian roulette on my system. After my foxface was peppered with white spot but he continued to feed and swim as if he was as healthy as can be. I did 22 days of Polyp lab medic, never switched off the UV and each day the white spot decreased even though disappeared each afternoon but returned the next day but fewer in numbers. Gladly the spots completely disappeared and I am now 11 days further on with no sign of whitespot and all fish doing very well. I did perhaps a stupid thing by adding a majestic angel 5 days ago but I restarted the medic but only nightly not every 12 hours and so far no disease can be seen and in fact I will prob cease the medic tonight. I am glad to say all fish looking bright and hungry. Yes I prob have dormant whitespot but prob most people do. I just want to say the Polyp medic has done wonders in my opinion and I am thrilled I not only introduced the majestic but also gobies, Cardinals and Dwarf Lionfish during the last week and all doing great. Even my Clowns have hosted the BTA which was inserted 6 days ago.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back