White Spots on Dottyback

bwomac44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevated white spots are increasing on my Orchid Dottyback. Last week there was only one white spot on the mid back, and I didn't think much of it.

Now, there are 4 areas with elevated white tissue. White tissue on both sides on the mid back and behind both eyes near top of gills. Almost in the same place on both sides of fish.

@Jay Hemdal I have seen you say fungus in saltwater fish is less common, that it usually internal and looks like it is coming out of the fish. I think that the spots looks as if they are coming out from the inside the fish almost. I am really hoping for your insight.

Fish is acting fine, swimming around hunting micro fauna, but I want to fix this issue before it overwhelms the fish and kills it.

Background: tank is a couple years old. Dottyback is the only fish in the tank. I have a goby that I added to a separate tank a few weeks ago. Goby is doing well. There is a possibility of cross contamination between the two tanks, but I have tried to avoid that.
Water quality could be better I imagine, I change 5 gallons out of the 20 once a month (29 gallon tank). The dottyback lives off the abundance of micro fauna in the tank, and occasional pellets (too add some nutrients to the tank).

IMG_9151.jpg
IMG_9146.jpg
IMG_9147.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look eruptive, lifting up the scales. Icthyophonus hoferi (it may have a new name) is an internal fungus that can do that. There is no medication for that though. The fish looks good otherwise, so perhaps this is something less serious.
Jay

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back