White Spots on Fins - File Fish and Melanurus Wrasse - Diagnosis and Treatment Help!

alcornb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, this is my first post. I've read a bunch in this forum and elsewhere over the last year I've had my tank. I'm finding that diagnosing fish ailments is pretty challenging for me so I decided to make a post and see if I can get some help.

I've got two new fish ordered online that are in my 10 gallon quarantine tank before they go into the DT, a Biota Aptaisia Eating Filefish (yes I have aptaisia :disappointed-face:) and a Melanurus Wrasse. The wrasse arrived with some white on the edges of it's fins and I noticed a few days later that its bottom fin is totally ragged. I'll admit that I didn't pay enough attention to that from the get go, so the fin may have been ragged from the start or it may have progressed over a few days. Filefish initially seemed fine, although timid and stays close to the surface. They both eat great.

I ramped them up to ~2.3 ppm copper (copper power) over a few days and they've been at that level for about 12 days. After a few days in copper, the wrasse no longer had any white on the fins. But after about a week, I noticed the filefish had white spots on its fins. Can anyone tell me what this is? Should I treat this with something other than copper? How long should I keep these fish in quarantine?

Filefish.png

Thanks for the help! I'm excited to hear from the experts.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis which is viral and associated with water quality and may be that of the place of purchase.
Assure ammonia and nitrate in your tank is in the safe range and fish gets a proper diet
It’s not a disease and nodules should fall off on their own as long as conditions are good

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

alcornb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appears to be lymphocystis which is viral and associated with water quality and may be that of the place of purchase.
Assure ammonia and nitrate in your tank is in the safe range and fish gets a proper diet
It’s not a disease and nodules should fall off on their own as long as conditions are good
That sounds like exactly what I'm seeing. Thank you @vetteguy53081 !

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like exactly what I'm seeing. Thank you @vetteguy53081 !
It may get worse before it gets better, but it is rarely fatal and no treatments work for lympho.
Just watch for symptoms of other issues, just because a fish has lympho doesn’t mean it can’t also have some other disease (grin)
Jay

Back