White spots on my blue tang

shaggy605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this baby tang for a month and overnight after a water change these white spots formed. Nothing on here looks like this (ICH or other diseases). She loves to wedge herself in tight spots and I think she scraped herself. She’s eating and swimming normally. Overall seems quite normal.

I do weekly water changes and overall have an extremely heal tank.

does any know what this i?

F29BE68D-42CA-4295-AAC1-7ECC318DB3D8.jpeg 92EB652E-2C24-438B-BED0-D954796429BC.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there spots on the left side of the fish also?

That isn't ich, as you thought. While it could have started as abrasions, remember that small hepatus tangs live tight in the coral, and so are adept at wedging themselves in without suffering damage. However, perhaps the fish was scared during the change and injured itself anyway. The round shape is an indication of an infection - bacteria grows in a circular fashion like that, as the colony expands. There are also some rare fungal diseases that can cause lesions like this.

Do you have a treatment tank available in case you need to dose it with antibiotics?

Jay

OP
OP
S

shaggy605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Are there spots on the left side of the fish also?

That isn't ich, as you thought. While it could have started as abrasions, remember that small hepatus tangs live tight in the coral, and so are adept at wedging themselves in without suffering damage. However, perhaps the fish was scared during the change and injured itself anyway. The round shape is an indication of an infection - bacteria grows in a circular fashion like that, as the colony expands. There are also some rare fungal diseases that can cause lesions like this.

Do you have a treatment tank available in case you need to dose it with antibiotics?

Jay
Thanks Jay
I treated the tank with herbtana to be safe. Not sure that I the right approach. Some small spots started on the left side today.
I also have an anemone that wasn’t well and now has disappeared. Not sure if that’s related.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Herbtana is unlikely to stop an acute infection. Not sure what to tell you about the missing anemone, that's kind of odd - no dead tissue seen to remove? Have you tested for ammonia?

Jay

OP
OP
S

shaggy605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know about the herbtana.
I do not have a treatment tank for her.

No dead tissue was found. My cleanup crew is pretty amazing. When I have lost fish usually nothing to be found of them.
Not sure what to do next.

OP
OP
S

shaggy605

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No dead tissue was found. My cleanup crew is pretty amazing. When I have lost fish usually nothing to be found of them.

and to answer your question ammonia is at 0 PPM.

znaczusek

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had this baby tang for a month and overnight after a water change these white spots formed. Nothing on here looks like this (ICH or other diseases). She loves to wedge herself in tight spots and I think she scraped herself. She’s eating and swimming normally. Overall seems quite normal.

I do weekly water changes and overall have an extremely heal tank.

does any know what this i?

F29BE68D-42CA-4295-AAC1-7ECC318DB3D8.jpeg 92EB652E-2C24-438B-BED0-D954796429BC.jpeg
Hi man,

Any news on that fish? Did you manage to find and cure your Hepatus? Mine tang also seems to struggle with the same thing.

Any input world be more than appreciated

Regards
Mike

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 59 85.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back