White spots on wall tank after Velvet/Ich outbreak

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by potatocouch, May 4, 2017.

1. potatocouch

potatocouch Well-Known Member

Those that have experienced either Marine Velvet or Ich outbreak, did the parasites (at one of its life cycle) visible by bare eyes? Perhaps when they are at Trophonts stage (mature trophozoite)?

I'm seeing white micro organism on the wall tank and they move and i don't believe it's Amphipods nor Copepods.

2. GHsaltie

GHsaltie Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Partner Member 2018

No, neither ich or velvet are visible at any stage of the life cycle.

Humblefish and cmcoker like this.
  3. potatocouch

So must be Amphipods or Copepods then; it sounds weird though where they venture during lights on. Unless the outbreak nudge them out too.

Humblefish likes this.
  4. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

Do you have any fish left in the tank? Or maybe a wrasse or other pod eater I was lost?

Humblefish likes this.
  5. potatocouch

The last Wrasse I had was 2 years ago.

No more fish now, zero, fallow mode.

The 3 fishes I had left before they all die in 1 week were not Pod eaters, not that I know of.

2 clowns and a Kole Tang.

I'm puzzled.

The reason I want to nail what are they, as they might be related to why the fishes are all dead within such short period of time whilst all Corals and invertebrates and Peppermint Shrimp are okay.

They had white dusting all over their body before they die so I'm quite confident they were marine Velvet or Ich but then I could be wrong and might be neither of them .

saltyfilmfolks likes this.
  6. cmcoker

cmcoker Well-Known Member R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Build Thread Contributor

If there's no fish, then I wouldn't be surprised to see a pod explosion.
    There's no predators in the tank, so nothing to hide from. I regularly see pods out in the day time of my fishless tank.

Oh and my clowns pick at pods sometimes, they just don't demolish the population

7. potatocouch

@cmcoker Owww ... I didn't know that Clown fish pick at pods. Thanks for this.

Whilst we're at this subject and since I'm in Fallow mode, what do I need to promote the growth of these pods? Apart from keeping the water at pristine quality, do I need to feed them?

I don't see any issue in boosting pods population in a reef tank, is it?

That way in 3 months time, if I ever want to purchase pods-eating-fish, I then able to sustain one.

8. Brew12

Brew12 Electrical Gru R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Reef Squad Build Thread Contributor Article Contributor Partner Member 2018

The pods will do fine on their own as long as you have microalgae growing.

cmcoker likes this.
  9. cmcoker

They will be fine, so long as they have some algae to munch on.
    As far as pod eating fish, if you are talking mandarin or the like, then make sure your tank is large enough and mature enough. Even during cycling you can see a pod explosion, but they will die back based on available food and predation

potatocouch likes this.
  10. potatocouch

Thanks @Brew12 @cmcoker

I don't have macro algae but I (think) I do have Pods Condo in the likes of Siporax bag.

[​IMG]

It's amazing to see how my tank after running for 3 years and a bit and has never seen any pods whatsoever and knowing that I do actually have pods. SO COOL!

Don't intend to keep Mandarin in the future .. but Wrasse is a possibility.

cmcoker likes this.
  11. Best Fish-Jake

Best Fish-Jake Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Adding some phytoplankton every couple days will provide a stable food source for your pods

Draft saved Draft deleted