White Spots Post TTM

Discussion in 'Fish Disease Treatment and Diagnosis' started by Tidalwave, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tidalwave

Tidalwave Active Member

Hello all!

Unfortunately, one of my fish (my purple tang) undergoing the QT process has developed white spots around 6 weeks after finishing TTM/month observation.
    The first sighting of the white spot was around one week ago, and it was a single white spot on the very edge of the PT's fin. After that, the spot went away but has since returned off and on throughout the week. The most I've seen at one time have been around 8 spots, mostly on the fins of the PT.
    My first thought when I saw the single spot was lymphocytosis, but now I am concerned it is something more serious. The fish is currently in my 36 gallon QT that is a shared residence with my Foxface (which went through the same TTM/month observation).
    Neither fish have displayed the typical symptoms of Ich/Velvet that I can tell. Both are still eating normally and act fairly normal as well. I am reluctant to think it is Ich since they both completed TTM/prazipro treatment followed by a one month observation without any issues, but they also don't show the typical signs of Velvet (as the spots are limited and there are no behavioral changes and the fish have been acting normal for around a week since the first spot).

I was planning to treat the tank with coppersafe to eradicate a possible Velvet infestation, but I wanted to know what you guys think about these symptoms. If it was Ich caused by some sort of contamination in my TTM method, I would happily redo the TTM, but if it is indeed velvet I do not want to hesitate and cause the fish further suffering.

I have tried to take pictures of the PT to show the spots, but I am having serious difficulties with my camera's clarity, as every picture does not show the spots in question.

Thank you guys for your help.

Tags:

2. Barrett

Barrett Well-Known Member Build Thread Contributor

Pictures of the fish would be very helpful for diagnosis.

Humblefish likes this.
  3. Tidalwave

Tidalwave Active Member

I wish I could capture the spots in a picture, but they are not showing up on the photo.

4. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

Have you seen these white spots on anyplace other than the fins?

5. Tidalwave

Tidalwave Active Member

Unfortunately I have. A couple have been on his belly, and one on his mouth. :(

I just re-tried to take more photos, and I still can't get a picture that actually shows the spots. :(

6. Humblefish

Humblefish Dr. Fish Staff Member Team R2R R2R Supporter R2R Excellence Award Expert Contributor Article Contributor Louisiana Reef Club Partner Member 2018

What is the timeline for how long the spots remain on the fish before disappearing? Ich trophonts feed for 3-7 days before dropping off; with velvet it's 12 hours - 4 days.

Tidalwave likes this.
  7. Tidalwave

Tidalwave Active Member

From the first white spot sighting to the next it was around 3-4 days. It very well could be Velvet. Just discouraging because neither fish showed any signs of any disease for a month following TTM :(. (Both went through a separate/individual TTM with Prazipro followed by a one month observation before being placed in a fresh QT tank until ready for the DT).

8. Humblefish

TTM could theoretically stunt velvet's lifecycle. The transfers are spaced out too far to completely eliminate it, but could outrun it enough to greatly reduce it's numbers on the fish. Fish continuously exposed to a sublethal number of parasites are sometimes capable of building up an immunity to them. But only partial immunity sometimes, which may be why it has taken so long for obvious physical symptoms to manifest.

Maritimer and Tidalwave like this.
  9. LuckyPhil

LuckyPhil Well-Known Member R2R Supporter

When I first tried TTM my fish still ended up with ich during observation and it is because of the equipment I was using.
    Previously I was using sponge filters, small wavemakers, air stones (reused).
    The way that I have been successfully able to complete TTM was going back to bare minimum so PVC elbows, and only air stones (I'm lucky enough to have access to a 3D printer so I can just throw away the air stones). Also even with the heater I didn't bother with the suction attachments.
    I found with the above and using minimum it has a higher success rate.
    Good luck mate hope it is just ich.
    There is an ich thread that humblefish posted that compares ich and velvet might be worth to have a look.

Tidalwave and Humblefish like this.
  10. Humblefish

Tidalwave likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted