White spots :(

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,

I purchased two misbar clownfish and placed them into quarantine 16 days ago. They have been eating awesomely, behaving great and fishing it up.

They did have white stringy poop, so I treated with prazi pro. 48 hours ago they were given their 2nd dose.

Last night I fed them frozen mysis for the first time.

When I woke up this morning they are both completely covered in tiny white spots. Can ICH appear that fast? 12 hours from nothing to both completely covered?

Can this come from frozen food?

How long should I wait before copper treatment.

Thank you

OP
OP
Gnawsome

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm super confused. They are acting sluggish and hiding in their pvc pipes, but it appears as though less than an hour later the spots are gone?
So this is embarrassing to admit. Turns out I dosed cupramine to the tank instead of "prime." The dose I gave the tank is within the limits on the instructions, but just to be safe I added carbon to the filter. My copper test will be here tomorrow, so I guess ich or not they are getting a copper treatment!

Hopefully my grabbing the wrong bottle won't end up killing them :(

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is embarrassing to admit. Turns out I dosed cupramine to the tank instead of "prime." The dose I gave the tank is within the limits on the instructions, but just to be safe I added carbon to the filter. My copper test will be here tomorrow, so I guess ich or not they are getting a copper treatment!

Hopefully my grabbing the wrong bottle won't end up killing them :(

Having the wrong bottle actually may have saved them. Ramping up the copper that quickly is rough on them since it is a toxin. Clowns are tough though.

Other things to consider:
1. Without pics, it's hard to make a diagnosis. Clowns are very susceptible to Brooklynella. It's also recommended to treat the water column with Metronidazole after the copper...you can also use API General Cure as well and knock out external flukes since it also contains praziquantel. But, you already ran for prazi treatment.

2. White stringy poo is a sign of internal parasites. Trading the water column with Prazi Pro won't do any for them. To get rid of internal parasites, you need to treat with Metronidazole and Focus mixed into their food. The Focus binds the medication to the food so the fish actually ingests the medication.

OP
OP
Gnawsome

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the wrong bottle actually may have saved them. Ramping up the copper that quickly is rough on them since it is a toxin. Clowns are tough though.

Other things to consider:
1. Without pics, it's hard to make a diagnosis. Clowns are very susceptible to Brooklynella. It's also recommended to treat the water column with Metronidazole after the copper...you can also use API General Cure as well and knock out external flukes since it also contains praziquantel. But, you already ran for prazi treatment.

2. White stringy poo is a sign of internal parasites. Trading the water column with Prazi Pro won't do any for them. To get rid of internal parasites, you need to treat with Metronidazole and Focus mixed into their food. The Focus binds the medication to the food so the fish actually ingests the medication.
Interesting thank you! From images online it definitely didn't look like Brooklynella. Looked extremely similar to Ich.

After the copper I'll treat for the internal parasites. Again, thank you.

OP
OP
Gnawsome

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are back this morning. I was able to get a picture.

Screenshot_20190326-073257_Gallery.jpg

OP
OP
Gnawsome

Gnawsome

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And again, a couple hours later these spots are gone. Two days in a row.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back