White spots?

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can someone please tell me what this is? It's completely covered my fireball angel however, my clown had it first but had since been reduced.

Thanks

IMG_20191204_220246.jpg IMG_20191204_165934.jpg

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks might think ich. As small and numerous as it is, I might think velvet...Or brooklynella, clowns are infamous for that.

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some folks might think ich. As small and numerous as it is, I might think velvet...Or brooklynella, clowns are infamous for that.

Oh man, what do you suggest? Im doing water changes, increased garlic feeding and I am waiting for poly lab medic to come through the post. Is there any suggestions?

Thanks

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, what do you suggest? Im doing water changes, increased garlic feeding and I am waiting for poly lab medic to come through the post. Is there any suggestions?

Thanks
Velvet is a complete pain in the rear. Unfortunately it may be time to set up the qt.. and your gonna wanna leave that tank fallow

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Velvet is a complete pain in the rear. Unfortunately it may be time to set up the qt.. and your gonna wanna leave that tank fallow

I only have a small qt tank just to house maybe 1 or 2 fish.
Will I have to do a 100 percent water change? And what about the sand. Really in a difficult situation.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to pull all fish out of your display, and leave the display empty for however long the fallow period for velvet or brook is. Probably 6 ish weeks.

Treat all fish in QT.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry to say that looks like velvet my tank just recently got it with it and thats exactly how my coral beauty looked you have to act fast if you want to save the fish

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll have to pull all fish out of your display, and leave the display empty for however long the fallow period for velvet or brook is. Probably 6 ish weeks.

Treat all fish in QT.
Its hardly a dt I just started a few months ago. I only have a clown, 2 clown gobies and the now struggling fireball angel.

Would it be possible for me to qt the fish and just start the tank as new with 100 percent new water and new sand?

And see how the fish get on in qt and add them later if recuvered?

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not sure of the whole cycle of velvet and how it can survive if you emptied the tank or how to sterilize the tank if you wanna strt over maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Woke up to this in the morning.

Can anyone tell me if I can just start again or will I have to wait 6 weeks?

Thanks

IMG_20191205_111155.jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer. You'll have to wait 6 weeks if indeed it was velvet. Not sure what the fallow is for brook.

Any disease experts here? @Humblefish ?

6 weeks fallow also applies for brook. But every fish needs to be removed from the DT.

Last edited:

Florida Sunshine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You still need to treat your other fish and run the tank fallow or the next fish you get will just get velvet once introduced to the tank. Once the velvet or ich get into your system the only way to remove it is to treat all of the fish and leave the tank fallow to kill any/all of the parasites.

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all your help. If I was to leave the tank fallow, are the cleaner shrimps and snails okay to stay in? And would I leave the tank running as it is, I.e skimmer, lights, filteration etc..

I ordered the poly lab medic. Is it a good treatment? And shall I also dose the dt?

Or shall I dose the dt with poly lab and the qt use cupramine?

Thank you

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can start again. You'll have to get everything out of the tank and use bleach or vinegar. Clean EVERYTHING. And I mean literally each and every surface. Hoses, pumps, etc. Do not re-use anything live that was in there. You could re-use your rock but only after the same treatment as the rest of the tank which means it will not have anything living on it so it's like putting new rock in there anyway.

Medic is only a water conditioner. It helps the fish be healthier so they can fight off diseases.

Hope you've already started treating the other fish in a hospital tank. Velvet is a swift killer. So is Brook.

If you want to keep the tank as is you need to leave it fallow for 6 weeks. Yes, run as usual. Leave inverts in there. Since it's a new tank you'll need to feed the inverts a small amount of food but that's it. You can still use the Medic in the DT.

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course you can start again. You'll have to get everything out of the tank and use bleach or vinegar. Clean EVERYTHING. And I mean literally each and every surface. Hoses, pumps, etc. Do not re-use anything live that was in there. You could re-use your rock but only after the same treatment as the rest of the tank which means it will not have anything living on it so it's like putting new rock in there anyway.

Medic is only a water conditioner. It helps the fish be healthier so they can fight off diseases.

Hope you've already started treating the other fish in a hospital tank. Velvet is a swift killer. So is Brook.

If you want to keep the tank as is you need to leave it fallow for 6 weeks. Yes, run as usual. Leave inverts in there. Since it's a new tank you'll need to feed the inverts a small amount of food but that's it. You can still use the Medic in the DT.

Thanks all,

Will be hard to clean everything perfectly and will probably leave me paranoid lol so I'm gonna leave the tank fallow for the 6 weeks.

Unfortunately, I haven't started treatment yet. Is it okay to treat the qt tank with seachem cupramine or does anyone suggest another medicine?

Thanks

OP
OP
K

Khamisa10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Clownfish looks like he's improving but yellow gobies are getting worse.

Skin is peeling off, looks really harsh.

I've added pics.

Screenshot_20191209_121904_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost certainly velvet im afraid, have you used any medication yet?

Back