Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Quick Background
90 gallon system
running for 8 months
All fish purchased from Dr Reef.

I noticed this morning that one of my Clown fish has some white spotting on the top of him. I believe he is the male because of his size.
I have pics and video, but they are on the blue side unable to adjust to white light at this time.

Just want to get your opinion Jay on what this looks like. The marks are not round, and I am wondering if he is fighting with the female, it seems like they might be starting to breed, and I notice the male seems to be cleaning different areas

I did a video so you could see a little better and check respiration rates.
All other fish are fine, and everyone is eating.

2022_11_14_IMG_4163.JPG 2022_11_14_IMG_4164.JPG

Attachments

• 2022_11_14_IMG_4165.MOV
    9.5 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Quick Background
90 gallon system
running for 8 months

I noticed this morning that one of my Clown fish has some white spotting on the top of him. I believe he is the male because of his size.
I have pics and video, but they are on the blue side unable to adjust to white light at this time.

Just want to get your opinion Jay on what this looks like. The marks are not round, and I am wondering if he is fighting with the female, it seems like they might be starting to breed, and I notice the male seems to be cleaning different areas

This could be ich or could be Brooklynella which mimics ich in some cases but cannot be confirmed under the very dark blue lighting provided. Please retake pics under white lighting . This is what we see on screen:

1668460742857.png

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal

Quick Background
90 gallon system
running for 8 months

Hi,

The blue lights really makes it tough to see anything...even white light photos are sometimes difficult to diagnose.

This could be ich, but it could also be scars from getting bitten. I don't think it is Brooklynella, the spots are too distinct and there are no secondary symptoms (mucus sheets, weak swimming)

You might be able to get better video by shining a flashlight on the fish - that may over ride enough of the blue to make it clearer to see.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

The blue lights really makes it tough to see anything...even white light photos are sometimes difficult to diagnose.

This could be ich, but it could also be scars from getting bitten. I don't think it is Brooklynella, the spots are too distinct and there are no secondary symptoms (mucus sheets, weak swimming)

You might be able to get better video by shining a flashlight on the fish - that may over ride enough of the blue to make it clearer to see.

Jay
Jay,

Thank you. Here is a better video. To my eye it looks like bites but I can't tell.

Attachments

• 2022_11_14_IMG_4169.MOV
    54.2 MB
  • 2022_11_14_IMG_4169.MOV
    54.2 MB
OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Jay
Lets try this video

Attachments

• clownfishspots.mpg
    30.7 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the number of spots seems too high to be from bite marks. I still don't think it is Brooklynella, but I still can't rule out ich. Black clownfish tend to show every little mark on their skin due to the contrast. Watch the other fish VERY closely, if they don't develop any spots over the next few days, you can rule out ich.

Jay

OP
OP
K

kadamik

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, the number of spots seems too high to be from bite marks. I still don't think it is Brooklynella, but I still can't rule out ich. Black clownfish tend to show every little mark on their skin due to the contrast. Watch the other fish VERY closely, if they don't develop any spots over the next few days, you can rule out ich.

Jay
Jay,

One more thing that I should have mentioned. I am starting to add coral to the aquarium, and sometimes my anemone closes up and only the big clownfish will host it and it pushes the smaller out. I noticed the smaller one goes under one of my corals. I think it is a frogspawn. I am not sure if it can sting of not but it touches it with the top of his body around the dorsal fin. if this coral can sting then that might be it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jay,

One more thing that I should have mentioned. I am starting to add coral to the aquarium, and sometimes my anemone closes up and only the big clownfish will host it and it pushes the smaller out. I noticed the smaller one goes under one of my corals. I think it is a frogspawn. I am not sure if it can sting of not but it touches it with the top of his body around the dorsal fin. if this coral can sting then that might be it.
That certainly can cause skin lesions. Sometimes they turn black, but often stay white. In the absence of other symptoms, I’d say that is it!
Jay

Back