White stringy "feelers" extending out of the uglies

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is at 3 months since cycling and the diatoms have come and gone. In my second phase of algae, I'm seeing something that I haven't seen in any of the threads here -- little white string-like feelers growing out of these algae areas (pic attached).

Can anyone point me in the right direction on these?
Should I be concerned, or just let them be?

(My parameters: SG 1.025, Nitrates 15, pH 8.0, dKH 8.8, Phosphates 0. No livestock yet - my first pair of clownfish are just finishing up their quarantine.)

20210508_115038.jpg

Tankalicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank is at 3 months since cycling and the diatoms have come and gone. In my second phase of algae, I'm seeing something that I haven't seen in any of the threads here -- little white string-like feelers growing out of these algae areas (pic attached).

(My parameters: SG 1.025, Nitrates 15, pH 8.0, dKH 8.8, Phosphates 0. No livestock yet - my first pair of clownfish are just finishing up their quarantine.)

20210508_115038.jpg
Clear with black strips/dots?

I have the same thing and nearly the same stage in my cycle as you are.

Following to see the answer. Mine seem to live in a piece of live rock I bought from LFS, I know there is at least one bristle worm living in the rock.

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know that someone else is seeing a similar growth. Yes mine are clear, but no black spots or stripes. I would describe it as almost like very fine fishing line (the type people use for fly fishing). I'm attaching another pic from the angle facing the algae growth (my algae is mostly growing on the faces that get occasional sunlight).

The only live stuff I've added to my tank so far are live sand (CaribSea Arag-Alive) and nitrifying bacteria (Bio-Spria). My rock was clean dry base rock.

Anybody have any advice on these clear wiry threads growing out of my algae? I'll probably give them a scrubbing during my next water change unless someone advises me otherwise...

Attachments

• 20210509_161136.jpg
    20210509_161136.jpg
    227.6 KB · Views: 47
OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I tried scrubbing these stringy threads with a toothbrush, and they are really latched onto the rock...

#reefsquad any help appreciated! Are these worms or algae feelers or something else?

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20210508_115038.jpg

Bump... ;)
Maybe I'm not posting this in the right forum?
Or have I uncovered an issue that has stumped even the #reefsquad experts?

Any advice would be much appreciated!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing I can think of is a type of sponge, but I don't think that's it.
Maybe a odd type of algae? I really don't know.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar and got told " calothrix "
But also look up hydroids
But im really new and can only go by what ive read sorry.but keep bumping this,im sure someone give a correct 100% answer shortly for you

kaylajoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you touch the strand are they slimy/snot like? Do they retract when you try to pull them off?

I had something very similar to that and assumed it was dinos. Eventually the strands grew out into a thicker mat. No positive ID though.

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had something similar and got told " calothrix "
But also look up hydroids
But im really new and can only go by what ive read sorry.but keep bumping this,im sure someone give a correct 100% answer shortly for you

Thanks for the input. When I look up calothrix, it appears to be more of a white fuzz rather than the single strands that I have. I did look up hydroids, and I do see that "digitate hydroids" look kind of similar except they appear to have very small branches/arms near the tip.

When you touch the strand are they slimy/snot like? Do they retract when you try to pull them off?

I had something very similar to that and assumed it was dinos. Eventually the strands grew out into a thicker mat. No positive ID though.

Hmmm, I'll have to check again to see. When I've tried pulling them out with my fingers, they are so thin that I couldn't even feel them or grab them. I didn't notice them retracting but I'll check this again.

I might try pulling some out with tweezers.

Any other ideas from the expert crowd?

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the long stringy threads growing in a couple dozen places in my 3-month-old tank...

I finally had time to pluck them and view under a microscope. As shown in the attached pics, they appear to be simple green cells all in a row to make the string. No arms or branches or mouths. They look fairly benign but I'm not an expert.

The one pic that looks dirty is how one of the 20 threads looked. All the others had the clean green cells.

#reefsquad Anybody have a clue? I just want to make sure these are not going to be a problem?

Attachments

• algaehair-0005.jpg
    algaehair-0005.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 32
  • algaehair-0004.jpg
    algaehair-0004.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 23
  • algaehair-0006.jpg
    algaehair-0006.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 33

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on the long stringy threads growing in a couple dozen places in my 3-month-old tank...

I finally had time to pluck them and view under a microscope. As shown in the attached pics, they appear to be simple green cells all in a row to make the string. No arms or branches or mouths. They look fairly benign but I'm not an expert.

The one pic that looks dirty is how one of the 20 threads looked. All the others had the clean green cells.

#reefsquad Anybody have a clue? I just want to make sure these are not going to be a problem?

I'm not an expert with algae identifications, but the microscope slides look like green hair algae strands.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is typical in a new start up. Algae will inevitably grow and this doesn’t look like the nuisance type. As you add in corals, fish, inverts, etc and you start feeding the tank, you’ll see other types of algae come and go as they’ll compete with each other.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks like a combo of GHA and cyano

OP
OP
T

Tman007

Super Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an expert with algae identifications, but the microscope slides look like green hair algae strands.

This is typical in a new start up. Algae will inevitably grow and this doesn’t look like the nuisance type. As you add in corals, fish, inverts, etc and you start feeding the tank, you’ll see other types of algae come and go as they’ll compete with each other.

Looks like a combo of GHA and cyano
Thanks for all the feedback - this helps! I'll keep monitoring to keep it from getting out of control.

uninformed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Tman007, did you ever figure out what these strings were? Did they cause any more problems? I'm seeing the same thing now in a relatively new tank: random locations, unable to grab them, and they are clearly irritating my zoas.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back