White stringy stuff all over coral and glass of tank

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so out of nowhere there is a white stringy gunk all over all of my corals and on the glass of my tank. All my corals are closed up and i have no idea what this stuff it or what caused it because last night everything was perfect.

The only thing I can slightly think of is I had a heater blow up in my mixing bin but I dumped and rinsed the bucket out before my water change last night. It was only a 10% change

20200528_183500.jpg 20200528_183450.jpg

Fink

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you trace it back to little tubes? I have a vermitid snail infestation that came in on a coral frag and they leave stringy stuff all over the place. I just put a dab of super glue on them whenever I see them.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you trace it back to little tubes? I have a vermitid snail infestation that came in on a coral frag and they leave stringy stuff all over the place. I just put a dab of super glue on them whenever I see them.
I dont think thats it. I pulled my filter floss and it was saturated with slime. It is an insane amount. My overflow is almost clogged with it

Formidableone14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something ive seen before, may be unrelated.
Alcaligenes faecalis, the bacteria responsible for the white slime, can thrive in conditions where volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, and phthalates are present in high levels. Possible factors that increase VOCs can be air deodorizers, freshening systems, commercial carpet cleaning services, smoke and the use of the sterilizing instruments such as chemi-claves and other alcohol-based cleaners.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something ive seen before, may be unrelated.
Alcaligenes faecalis, the bacteria responsible for the white slime, can thrive in conditions where volatile organic compounds, or VOCs, and phthalates are present in high levels. Possible factors that increase VOCs can be air deodorizers, freshening systems, commercial carpet cleaning services, smoke and the use of the sterilizing instruments such as chemi-claves and other alcohol-based cleaners.
After some Google imaging. My outbreak looks exactly like the bacteria described. My fiance has started cleaning the floor with pinesol and my sister has been using perfume near the tank

Formidableone14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it will boil down to how much of said chemical(s) was actually captured in the water column, Id say about two weeks with water change and carbon, potentially longer. I believe there is also and additive to help expedite this process but I would keep it natural if at all possible.

Formidableone14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's it going to do to her fish and corals? OP, do you have a lid on your tank or is it an open-top?
I think this will still boil down to how much is in the water column. Fish should be ok as long as it isnt a large amount and as far as corals go Id watch out for the slime building up and coating the corals. Use a pipette or similar and try to keep them clean in the mean time. Woudnt hurt to grab a net and scoop up what you can too.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back