White stuff on rocks???

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noob here, been cycled for a little over a month. As diatoms are starting do disappear, there’s visible white spots on my live rock. Spreads super fast. Can’t see it that well on pictures because in person it’s super visible. In 1 Dati could see them spread twice as much. It can’t be dead coraline because I have none. My calcium was low up until 2 days ago so I started adding a small amount of additives each day for the past 2 days. That’s exactly when the white stuff started. It looks like a frosted sugar coating.
Should I be worried?
Heres 3 pics under 3 light spectrums.
nitrates are lowering down, alk and calcium are slowly being dosed up (calcium used to be as low as 275)
Lights are viparspectra, I put them higher than suggested and the blues are at 28% and whites at 10% so I doubt it’s too much light.

i did spend a lot of time looking it up but had no satisfying answer.

ADBCE6F7-BA1E-4498-8F45-CBEBEFD74858.jpeg A5A4B088-BC60-48D1-920D-93DC4CA04DC4.jpeg 863CEC70-F2E0-4AD4-9B95-3008E83C0C1B.jpeg

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's anything to worry about. The tank is only a month old, so many changes are going to occur.

But, there's no way you should require any dosing at this point... there's nothing in the tank to be consuming the nutrients.

If you just want higher alk and calcium starting out, then switch salts to one that is close to the parameters you want. Let the tank naturally mature on its own.

OP
OP
B

boboyo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe it's anything to worry about. The tank is only a month old, so many changes are going to occur.

But, there's no way you should require any dosing at this point... there's nothing in the tank to be consuming the nutrients.

If you just want higher alk and calcium starting out, then switch salts to one that is close to the parameters you want. Let the tank naturally mature on its own.
I have 10 corals and 6 fish and my salt is garbage. When I mix it at 1.025 it reads 3.5 dkh...

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 44 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 32 23.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back