White tail bristletooth tang eating in QT

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all!

My bristletooth tang is coming in today! Woo! I have his QT tank all set up, I've been leaving the lights on to try and produce some algae, since the tank was set up on Sunday.

My 75 gallon (which is where he will be moving after an observation period) is full of algae for him, but I'm concerned about him lasting through QT. Is there anything I can do or get for him while he's QTing? I know most people don't have success getting them to eat anything provided. I have brown algae going in the QT right now, will he eat that?

Thanks y'all!

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not trying to lecture you. A lot of tangs have died to malnutrition.

If your tang ends up eating in quarantine. Please feed often. Watch body mass and increase feeding if needed.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to lecture you. A lot of tangs have died to malnutrition.

If your tang ends up eating in quarantine. Please feed often. Watch body mass and increase feeding if needed.
I know, that's why I made this post! Want to make sure the little guy does well, and my DT is well stocked for him to eat.

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has arrived!! I have him in a bucket right now, the salinity was at 29ppm (Is this normal when transporting fish?? Seems so low) and I keep my tanks at 35ppm so I'm planning on SUPER slowly bringing up the salinity with the QT tank water before transferring. Time to dip my new corals!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey all!

My bristletooth tang is coming in today! Woo! I have his QT tank all set up, I've been leaving the lights on to try and produce some algae, since the tank was set up on Sunday.

My 75 gallon (which is where he will be moving after an observation period) is full of algae for him, but I'm concerned about him lasting through QT. Is there anything I can do or get for him while he's QTing? I know most people don't have success getting them to eat anything provided. I have brown algae going in the QT right now, will he eat that?

Thanks y'all!
while nori is a good source, I would focus on foods right now with vitamins and Omega 3 which will maintain its immunity system such as Mysis shrimp, LRS Herbivore diet and Formula 2 frozen which is a veggie diet. Nori can create a mess when there are uneaten portions.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He has arrived!! I have him in a bucket right now, the salinity was at 29ppm (Is this normal when transporting fish?? Seems so low) and I keep my tanks at 35ppm so I'm planning on SUPER slowly bringing up the salinity with the QT tank water before transferring. Time to dip my new corals!
Yes its normal. Youll want to match the holdingntank to that salinity

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just wondering, hes going into a acclimation box with the main tank.. or an actual quarantine setup?

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's very easy to bring a fish only treatment tank to 29sg. If coralscare going to be with him, thats a different story

OP
OP
H

hbubley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No corals, it's an observation tank more so as I am not prophylactically treating (I fudged my set-up because it's in my living room, wanted it to look okay so I added sand, rookie mistake). So I can def bring down the salinity

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.7%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 30 27.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back