White tail tang owners, how aggressive are they?

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a whitetail in QT right now that I want to add in my 90 gallon that already has an established convict tang, bad idea?

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has typically minded is own business unless you add another bristletooth. They also don’t tend to like sand gobies
Hmmm that makes me feel better about it, just saw a narly picture of a convict that got attacked that has me double checking. Im assuming they will be fine because different genus

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have While tail bristletooth tang and he minds his own business. But he is very different than the rest of my tangs. The others all school and graze rocks together. He sometimes buddies up with the yellow tang, but is thinner than he should be, his fins clearly nips at, and he doesn’t eat like the others, either. He has been on watch since I got home (months ago) for that reason.

If anything, I think something is picking on him though I have never seen a shred of aggression from any of the fish to him or the others and vice verse. The exception are the chromies which do harass each other.

He shares a tank a with a yellow tang, hippo tang, and a naso. They are all fat and model citizens as far as I can tell.

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine has typically minded is own business unless you add another bristletooth. They also don’t tend to like sand gobies
Also to add I have a convict as well and I don’t even think they have looked at each other to be honest. My convict is very mellow. My purple tang though will be going to another tank shortly lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Convicts can be aggressive, I’d expect for aggression from the convict instead of aggression from the whitetail. I’d go for it if I had the room however a 4’ tank with even just one tang in it is a lot, I wouldn’t do another hyperactive tang (Which the Ctenochaetus are hyper but the Convicts are worse). So I would say it’s one of those things where you have to look at your rock scape, think if it’s ideal for two active fish along with the rest of your stock and if not, go for one or the other.

Johnz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have While tail bristletooth tang and he minds his own business. But he is very different than the rest of my tangs.
Same with mine, he tends to be pretty shy compared to my other tangs. If the convict tang gets aggressive towards him, which is likely, stick a small mirror to the outside of your tank for a couple weeks to distract him. Works every time.

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too worried about the convict tbh hes been really calm with other fish, but I’ve seen fish change immediately so I will keep an eye on them when I add the new tang. Thank you guys

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had one w a gem and no issues. Each did their own thing
17374E33-DC81-4009-A7B7-F15D475B76BC.jpeg

OP
OP
Vested

Vested

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wanted to update this incase anyone has a similar question about white tails in the future, so far all good! Like a few already guessed the convict is more of a bully then anything.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My white tail doesn't bother anyone at all. Just a busy fish constantly grazing and mowing the lawn and rocks all day long.

kweigum

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was horrible to all of my fish in my 150‍♂️ Was just stand off ish at first then got very aggressive toward my marine betta and mag foxface. Have a Diamond goby that he absolutely hated…i hadn’t seen for over a month…. Got rid of the tang and all is well and goby is back to cleaning my sand, and everything is happy.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 67 79.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 14 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Other

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back