White Tail Tang without yellow around the eye

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have a white tail tang (I think), but it doesn’t have the yellow ring around the eye I see in others. It’s pretty much identical in every other way, though.

Does anyone know if this comes in later?

Bonus clown tax
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could just be a mutation or regional population. My white tail had the yellow at a very small size, so I don’t believe it’s something they grow into.
Interesting. I wouldn’t have thought.

And yeah, looking at juvies, they’re mostly yellow, so I’m sure the yellow is there from early on, it doesn’t come in later.

So you think it is a white tail, just a morph? I can’t find anything else it would be, so I imagine you’d be right.

In fact, it came into the LFS as a Tomini, so they sold it to me for a really good price relative to most white tails (they knew it wasn’t a tomini, but weren’t sure what it was at the time).

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell because the second picture is really washed out, but it doesn’t seem to have the same coloration as my white tail. It’s definitely not a Tomini, but it could be some kind of hybrid.

this is my white tail, currently in quarantine, and hard to get a sharp photo of with my phone because he’s a little speed demon:
043D7AC5-1A48-46C3-9954-374D5CCEB311.jpeg

OP
OP
Adamantium

Adamantium

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard to tell because the second picture is really washed out, but it doesn’t seem to have the same coloration as my white tail. It’s definitely not a Tomini, but it could be some kind of hybrid.

this is my white tail, currently in quarantine, and hard to get a sharp photo of with my phone because he’s a little speed demon:
043D7AC5-1A48-46C3-9954-374D5CCEB311.jpeg
Yeah, sorry I couldn’t get a better shot. He’s a quick little guy.

I guess the consensus is he’s a hybrid of some kind. How interesting. I wonder if that makes him more, or less valuable/rare? Not that I have plans to sell him.

CCauthers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are both yellow eye and blue eye cole tangs, you likely have a blue eye

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t match any species I can find photographs of. The head spots look like Tomini, and there’s a touch of orange to the dorsal fin, but the stripes are a Kole feature. I wouldn’t consider it rare or valuable, though. Either way, it’s a nice fish so enjoy it regardless of what it is.

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which was the guess @Angel_Anthias lover made. Except the juvenile color form doesn’t look like this fish, and the adult coloration doesn’t have a white tail. Could still be a mutation or regional population, though.

edit: it could be in between phases though. OP: if the tail darkens with time, you have your answer.

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a population of striatus that has a white tail into adult hood, that "species" probably has at least 3 distinct species currently all lumped together. All three of these are identified as either striatus or cf. striatus and ya I want some of the middle ones too though I have never seen them.
1603569531875.png

1603569513247.png

1603569651416.png

cshouston

Hoopy Frood
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe there is a population of striatus that has a white tail into adult hood, that "species" probably has at least 3 distinct species currently all lumped together. All three of these are identified as either striatus or cf. striatus and ya I want some of the middle ones too though I have never seen them.
1603569531875.png

1603569513247.png

1603569651416.png

The middle one is a juvenile C. striatus. They lose the coloration when they mature into adulthood.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The middle one is a juvenile C. striatus. They lose the coloration when they mature into adulthood.
In rudie kuiters book on tangs he seems to believe there is a population of the striatus that retains their juvenile colouration into adult hood and had photos of them. But idk they were maybe just large juveniles. Do you know if theres any truth to that?

scchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope I have had C. striatus all the way down to half and inch including my current one, which is a mean *******, never looked like that most the juveniles I have seen look like this,
1603570118183.png

Mr_Knightley

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is definitely a striatus. I currently have one and his color changes drastically depending on what part of the tank he's in, if the rock is lighter he's lighter and if the rock is dark he's dark. Very interesting and personable fish.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 25.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back