White Tail Yellow Eye Tang in QT on its side breathing heavy!

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

So I am at work right now but got a call that my white tail yellow eyed tang wasn’t acting weird! He’s on his side breathing heavily.

He’s a new addition and currently has been in QT for about 1 week now. I was able to trouble shoot a little over FaceTime but I won’t be home until early tomorrow morning!

Any thoughts on what to do next or something can have the person at home do would be greatly appreciated!! I attached the video he sent.

So far this is what I’ve managed to get done over FaceTime:

-Airstone added to the tank and bubbling away.

-Added appropriate dose of Seachem Prime and Stress coat (tank has a mature biological filter but not being home to test I told him to dose it)

-Added powder API General Cure for possible flukes or something else.

I was looking at the fish today I thought he was acting a little strange. Ugh should have looked more into before I left for work overnight. Didn’t see any lesions or
Spots on him.

YouTube Upload of fish

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it is very difficult to diagnose what the problem might be without more information and photos. Certainly, as you recognize, he is under stress and is breathing rapidly. Are you following the copper QT protocol or is your QT just observation?

Please share as much info as you can

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Unfortunately fish is not ok and is actually moribund in which it may or may not survive for which the chances for this fish appear slim. You can always try to increase oxygen via airstone but it may not benefit at this point and I Hate to be the bearer of this.
Was the fish distressed at all the last 24 hours ?
When did it last eat and what were you feeding ?
What is ammonia and nitrate level ?

For the future, before adding any meds, verify if you can and describe symptoms. Also for video- 30 seconds helpful.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, it is very difficult to diagnose what the problem might be without more information and photos. Certainly, as you recognize, he is under stress and is breathing rapidly. Are you following the copper QT protocol or is your QT just observation?

Please share as much info as you can

It was just observation in QT no prophylactic treatments. He was always very timid. Would stay in the PVC pipe and only really came out when no one was around and to eat. He eating ok this morning…we’ll he only ate some of the masstick and didn’t touch the nori today.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately fish is not ok and is actually moribund in which it may or may not survive for which the chances for this fish appear slim. You can always try to increase oxygen via airstone but it may not benefit at this point and I Hate to be the bearer of this.
Was the fish distressed at all the last 24 hours ?
When did it last eat and what were you feeding ?
What is ammonia and nitrate level ?

For the future, before adding any meds, verify if you can and describe symptoms. Also for video- 30 seconds helpful.
Ya I agree doesn’t look good, I’m at work right now and stuck here until the morning. Ugh ya checking levels is beyond the guy at home right now, hence the prime. Fish ate masstick this afternoon. Thanks for the input! I appreciate it.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase the fish from a LFS or mail order?

Not eating is a very bad sign. Unfortunately,some species of new fish, particularly those mail ordered in my experience, arrive malnourished and do not eat enough (and sometimes not fed enough nutritional food) to survive the first few weeks.

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you purchase the fish from a LFS or mail order?

Not eating is a very bad sign. Unfortunately,some species of new fish, particularly those mail ordered in my experience, arrive malnourished and do not eat enough (and sometimes not fed enough nutritional food) to survive the first few weeks.
It's from a mail order. @fishmedic thanks so much for everyone responding so quickly. This community is great :)

OP
OP
exprobratio

exprobratio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update got home this morning and the tang was doing much better. Swimming around but still hiding.

Checked some levels and geez the ammonia was 2.0 and nitirites at 1!

Thankfully I had a pre made tub of heated saltwater and did an emergency 80% water change and plan to do another tomorrow.

Im pretty sure adding the Seachem Prime and the Airstone while I was gone at work overnight saved this guys life…..

He is still shy but currently eating and looks pretty much normal.

I still added some more Seachem Prime after the 80% water change since the ammonia would be at 0.4 still.

Here’s a YouTube vid of him eating.
YouTube Tang Eating

Whew that was a stressful night….he is really a beautiful fish. Here is a pic of him under some blue lights earlier in the week.

43247F6F-19B8-4A12-9A72-E7B8AB2B85B7.jpeg

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear conditions are improving. Keep a close eye on the ammonia. Differing opinions in the community about the product's effectiveness at controlling ammonia. Always best to run tests regularly until you know your biological filter is cycled and the ammonia is being naturally converted to nitrate.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 153 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 67 26.9%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 87 34.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.3%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.9%
Back