White Tank Wall - Let’s see those tanks with white instead of black backgrounds!

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On Instagram, I regularly see this beautiful tank with a white background and I’m thinking of doing this with the tank I just ordered. I want to see who else is using white instead of the black! Let’s see what you’ve got, show us even if your back wall isn’t white but you went against the standard black.

2DAF2ED9-1A32-4EBA-96DA-C53F23E5E3C9.jpeg

OP
OP
C

casey012293

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting tank.

No Fish?

Just a clear back tank.. what we are seeing is the painted wall behind it.

He’s had some posts with fish, but currently looks like a goby, some shrimp, maybe a couple small ones. Seems very minimalistic and more into the corals.

he did a post explaining that he bonded white pvc to the back of the tank.

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I get around to it, I might do a white background just to see what it looks like. Thinking out loud as to what I can use around the house to see what it looks like. Mine is in wall so I can get behind it. Guess I can tape together some printer paper.

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a white background on my innovative marine micro 30… should I paint it black? I run blues mostly so I don’t want it to take away pop. How would I do that?

Colt13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had this idea a while ago as i wanted a white back, but didnt have a white wall behind the tank so i couldnt just leave it clear. i thought about frosted also, but realized the overflow pipes would stick out, even if they were white. i considered just painting the back white, or using white vinyl.

the problem with that IMO is that it takes away all depth, (from the pictures ive seen of other people doing it). this was pretty much confirmed when i watched the BRS video where they used a laser to see if the background color had an impact on light reflection/par. the way the white background reacted with the laser was to spread the light into a circle, which takes away all sense of depth. while it did offer more par than the black background, the black back absorbed the light and even if it did do the same 'circle spread' you couldnt see it because it was so dark. this allowed the black back to keep its sort of sense of depth.

so, i wanted white, but wanted the benefit of the depth, it occurred to me to space a white board (acrylic in this case) a little behind the back glass. this would reduce the circle spread effect and increase the par while keeping the sense of depth, because the glass now acts like a mirror. i eventually came across the tank OP posted, and he did the same thing. its a piece of white acrylic spaced a few mm away from the glass. thats why you cant see the overflow pipes.

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Pictures don't really show it true to in person. My background is very white, but I cannot find any settings on my phone that let it appear that way in a picture. However, I got bored and started gluing monti cap to the back to encrust.
20211205_190202.jpg

After lights out.
20211205_235642.jpg

Last edited:

LaxFrags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures don't really show it true to in person. My background is very white, but I cannot find any settings on my phone that let it appear that way in a picture. However, I got bored and started gluing monti cap to the back to encrust.
[ATTACH type="full"
alt="20211205_190202.jpg"]2451213[/ATTACH]

After lights out.
20211205_235642.jpg

So this doesn’t take away from the pop of the corals in the blues? My tank has the white background I just want to make sure it won’t ruin anything before I set it up

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So this doesn’t take away from the pop of the corals in the blues? My tank has the white background I just want to make sure it won’t ruin anything before I set it up

I don't think it does, but every person will see things differently. This is definitely the "brightest" tank I've ever had. The white background reflects more light onto the back of my rock and into caves.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 31 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back