White things on elegance

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends!

I’ve never had an elegance before, and so far have found gall crabs and then this morning woke up to these little white things on it. I can’t tell if they’re eggs or what. I think I’m going to try to suck them up into a bulb syringe but want to check here first. I’m not very experienced. Thanks so much.

07036236-330D-4474-861F-CDE634230B6B.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0366.MOV
    9.6 MB
Last edited:
OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alsooooooo...I mixed up the Elegance and Duncan in my mind which is why I got it in the first place I know as a relative beginner it wasn’t the best choice. I have already learned a lot from this little beast. I hope it makes it!

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a sponge... though I’ve never seen it in the flesh part of an elegance before. I’ve seen bad sponges on torch’s. Check out this thread:
Doing a little more research, I’ll let you know what I find.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your coral has had a hole stabbed in it, it can’t be mesenterial filaments. Those would only come out of the mouth of a healthy coral. That looks to me like nudibranch egg clusters, however thats a very strange location for them.

OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, so much. The reefing community has in a short time made me wish more communities were stronger all over. It’s such a nice feeling knowing people care and want to contribute and have your back, as much as they can at least. I can’t wait to get better at this so I can contribute more.

I think it’s filaments, too. I did a hefty water change yesterday and stirred up quite a bit of sand. I didn’t see any on the coral afterword...I did notice some Reef Roids still on it this morning, I probably over-fed it too. Some of the posts on filaments mention it is a feeding and/or stress response. Thanks again everyone.

I think I may do another water change today. I just did one yesterday but I’m worried my other corals may be stressed and putting out chemical warfare as stated in some of those articles. Maybe overkill...but better safe than sorry right?

OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And..the things are gone! I assume back into the coral. I didn’t do anything. Hopefully I’m in the clear!

It looks like a sponge... though I’ve never seen it in the flesh part of an elegance before. I’ve seen bad sponges on torch’s. Check out this thread:
Doing a little more research, I’ll let you know what I find.

I appreciate this idea, especially because I have a few sponges (pink, yellow, bright green) growing on a small nearby mature rock I got from a local reefer. I’m pretty sure it was filaments though, especially considering they seem to have retracted in less than an hour of noticing them and the pictures of others filaments match up.

OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now, to remove the gall crab...superglue it in or dig it out?

OP
OP
wildcard

wildcard

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly Gull crabs are not that big of a concern and are kinda cool if you ask me. Ive allways left mine alone. If you really want to kill it superglue is the way to go

you know, I like biodiversity and I don’t like killing things. Maybe I’ll leave it! The elegance is probably not being bothered by it as much as by my newb moves! Ha

I’ve read conflicting things on gall crabs which is why I was considering getting rid of it.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's hoping all is well, however you might still want to take a look at these threads:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back