Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap!
Just went throught the 7 pages of tips you got...
Good catch for the worm, happy to know how it turn out.
Now i'm waiting for the build thread of your next tank once you move.
Happy reefing!
Ha ha! Congratulations for making it thru the 7 pages!

i won't be doing a Build Thread on the I.M. Ext 100 I expect to receive in a week or two which will hold me over until my move but will comment on the Trigger sump with the roller mat that will go with it. (However, I'm still on the fence about filter socks, mats etc....I seem to still prefer the idea of a sedimentation tank. I use to have a huge conical sed. tank for my 500 which was nice but needed some improvements).

I will make a Build Thread on my new system once I move. We will be heading down to explore the Virginia coast in a few weeks, starting at Newport News and working up. (We're looking for a nice house on a river in case anyone from VA can make any recommendations for a nice area. Thanks!) :)

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ricky.

Hi, Jim. Like this?

I can share what actions I did take and that the tank is recovering (stopped RTN/STN mid-event), but I've not confirmed what action(s) ultimately reversed the event.

Kind regards,

Jim

Hi Ricky,

Thanks for mentioning that. I will look into it. I wonder if anyone is having any success with the "Prime Coral Prevent RTN" medicine.

But in my case, I really think it is was the Bearded Fireworms. It is hard to explain the almost "clockwork" repetitive nature of one coral dying each night for about a month, with white tips appearing in the morning, other than these worms being the culprits. I have examined many of these frags under a microscope but never saw any protozoa.....but I will keep looking if the problem continues.

If anyone knows of any meds that have worked for philaster, (including the "Prime Coral Prevent RTN"), I would be interested to hear about it

Thanks for helping!

OP
OP
Dr. Jim

Dr. Jim

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, Ricky.

Hi, Jim. Like this?

I can share what actions I did take and that the tank is recovering (stopped RTN/STN mid-event), but I've not confirmed what action(s) ultimately reversed the event.

Kind regards,

Jim

Are you saying the organisms in the video are philaster? They look more like some kind of arthropod rather than protozoa.

Ever since I got rid of the Fireworms, my STN appears to have stopped although I can't say I'm seeing any new growth yet. All my surviving frags were reduced to nubs or encrusted plugs and actually reached that stage before I discovered what I hope was the last Fireworm, This makes it just a little difficult to say with 100% certainty that the Fireworms were the culprits, but I'm about 95% confident that they were.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am. Same as this. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/brown-jelly-disease-under-the-microscope.294341/page-2 Hungry bugs during an RTN/STN event. Vibrio was identified as well.

Are you saying the organisms in the video are philaster? They look more like some kind of arthropod rather than protozoa.

Ever since I got rid of the Fireworms, my STN appears to have stopped although I can't say I'm seeing any new growth yet. All my surviving frags were reduced to nubs or encrusted plugs and actually reached that stage before I discovered what I hope was the last Fireworm, This makes it just a little difficult to say with 100% certainty that the Fireworms were the culprits, but I'm about 95% confident that they were.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't read the whole thread but heres my comments. Id stop carbon dosing completely. Ive only seen bad reactions to this. I see brown algae, to me this indicates dinoflagelets. I solved mine with a uv sterilizer. The tin problem could likely be elsewhere besides the hoses. Check everything. Id run a magnet through the sand and see if it picks something up. Id also get some sea urchins to eat that algae to clean white rocks. Preferably something smaller. But i wouldn't add anything until your sure the tin problem is fixed and stopped carbon dosing. Grow macroalgae they will remove tin slowly. Its easy to see problems but we cant see bacteria.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back