White Whispy hair-like algae/bacteria?

blryn89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my name is Brittany, new to the forum and new to saltwater fish tanks! I have a 75 gallon tank that was given to me by a friend who maintained it for 8 years which initially came with an 8 year old clown fish and a 3 year old yellow tang as well as 40lbs of live rock. I've had the tank since May and have not had any issues with the tank, but as of a couple days ago I noticed this white stringy/whispy hair like growth all over the live rock and on the glass. I do regular water changes and water tests. The temp ranges btwn 78 and 80 throughout the day. Since I've had the tank I've added a hefty clean up crew with turbo snails, emerald crabs, hermits, and peppermint shrimp. I also have a feather duster, a fromia starfish, a baby clown fish, a long tentacle anenome, a blue spotted puffer, a scooter fish, and just recently a few days ago i got a diamond watchman goby and another fromia starfish. Not sure what caused the new growth in the tank, hoping someone could tell me what it is and how to get rid of it and avoid getting it again [emoji4]. Worried I might be doing something wrong, I appreciate any help!
20170724_065752.jpg
20170724_065826.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef !

I'm afraid I don't see anything concerning in the pictures. Can you get some closer?

All tanks will have some settling and ugly phase when you move them, so it could be some sponges or other micro fauna blooming.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bryozoans perhaps?

These will appear as little wispy like branches clinging to the rock, but they're usually more of a beige color as opposed to white.

OP
OP
blryn89

blryn89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you both for responding. I've taken another picture. I was told it could just be a bacteria. It's whitish and rubs off easily. It's just kind of covering all th rock.
65305a0badf1f8ed83337d7689ed2b28.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you pinch some, bacteria will be slimy. Sponges spongy, and
Bryozoans perhaps?

These will appear as little wispy like branches clinging to the rock, but they're usually more of a beige color as opposed to white.
Brtozoans will have a slightly tough feel , almost like strands of hair IME, but will fall apart.

OP
OP
blryn89

blryn89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are water changes just the best way to get rid of it?

OP
OP
blryn89

blryn89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20170726_191742.jpg

Tried to siphon some of this off in my water change on monday but it's just spreading. Could I lightly scrub the live rock? It looks like it's killing the healthy growth on the rocks. Not sure what to do [emoji17]
If you pinch some, bacteria will be slimy. Sponges spongy, and

Brtozoans will have a slightly tough feel , almost like strands of hair IME, but will fall apart.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your no adding amino , carbon dosing , bottled bacteria, no air fresheners nearby and not using hand sanitizers or ammonia based glass cleaners?

Have you tested for ammonia and nitrites ?

That's pretty weird.

OP
OP
blryn89

blryn89

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your no adding amino , carbon dosing , bottled bacteria, no air fresheners nearby and not using hand sanitizers or ammonia based glass cleaners?

Have you tested for ammonia and nitrites ?

That's pretty weird.

No additives, I don't have coral yet. I do have a wax melt air freshner about 6 feet from the tank on a little table but it's like a candle not a spray. I tested the ph, nitrate, nitrite, and ammonia and all came back good. Everyone in the tank is acting normal, swimming and eating just fine. Not sure what it is.

Tom Caknakis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How it finished? Facing same issue and nobody know what is it and how get rid of that.
1ea48fd6-0ad5-4138-bba9-ad78b3205723.JPG
IMG_1909.jpg IMG_1908.jpg

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's difficult to ID things with blue lights one instead of whites. Please post pictures with whites on. Also pictures on the algae in the tank as opposed to out of water on a table.

For the original poster, again hard to tell without whites on, looks like hair algae that collected some kind of debris from the water. Possibly from stiring the sand during a water change?

FriendoFish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone figure out what this was/how to get rid of it? I have the exact same stuff in my tank!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back