White Worm Culture Questions

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got a white worm culture, put in a covered tupperware with organic potting soil, cat food and added water to keep damp. So been about 2 weeks or so and I have some questions:
-Some mold is growing on the cat food. Do I remove those pieces?
-There also seems to be little white bugs/mites moving around, esp on the cat food pieces. Are those good/bad/neither?
-How long before more worms become visible? The orginal batch I can see but not much else.
Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remove the moldy pieces
Try to bury the pieces in the soil.
Try to feed the worms bread cut into cubes. Bury them in the soil if they mold. A different food might help the culture grow. Even a different brand of cat food. Might take a month to see good growth.
You could have mites. A few wont matter much.
I try to keep my cultures between 60 to 70F

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, thanks for the feedback. I did pretty much that. I removed the really heavily molded pieces and pieces with a lot of mites on them. Any remaining I stirred up with the soil to mix it in. I have it on a shelf at around 64 degrees.
Will try the bread cubes next. Where do the mites come from?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soil prob had them in it to start with. Some people sterilze the soil before using. Common in Grindal worm raising. I have issues with those tiny knat like flies in the summer.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The soil prob had them in it to start with. Some people sterilze the soil before using. Common in Grindal worm raising. I have issues with those tiny knat like flies in the summer.
Hmm weird. Soil is supposedly organic. I tossed them with the moldy cat food. Onto the bread cubes. Thanks.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m curious if your worms took off with the different food. I’m having same issues you did… mold that grows quickly on the cat food, culture that is stagnant.

Nope, I give up.
After a few years I found that this works best for me, even in spring when the bugs are looking for a place to breed.
I use coconut coir for my soil. Less problems than with other things. For food, I cube up a slice of bread. I then use a "spice / coffee bean" grinder and grind up some algae wafers. Mix it all in with the soil. I make sure the bread is covered . If left uncovered I notice mold grows quickly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back