White Worm Culture Show Off

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I tried grindal worms once but couldn't get the culture to take off. Then it got contaminated with mites so I tossed it. I didn't think of trying to rinse them out in water like was mentioned here. What do you feed yours?
"Casa Mendosa" tortillas, from the Co-op down the street. Everything else develops mold too quickly, and the preservatives probably keep the mites down. ;)

I cultivate my cultures (3) in copra. I just find it so much easier to use than soil, and there's no need to bake it in the oven. :)

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Casa Mendosa" tortillas, from the Co-op down the street. Everything else develops mold too quickly, and the preservatives probably keep the mites down. ;)

I cultivate my cultures (3) in copra. I just find it so much easier to use than soil, and there's no need to bake it in the oven. :)
I would eat the tortillas long before the worms got a chance. LOL Copra.... Hmmm I haven't heard of that before. I just looked it up. Where do you get it? Do you just dump a bunch in a container with the worms? I will not lie, the mites freaked me out when one day I opened the container and saw more of them than I did worms. Yikeys!

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would eat the tortillas long before the worms got a chance. LOL Copra.... Hmmm I haven't heard of that before. I just looked it up. Where do you get it? Do you just dump a bunch in a container with the worms? I will not lie, the mites freaked me out when one day I opened the container and saw more of them than I did worms. Yikeys!
Any pet store stocks it — it’s usually sold as coconut husk fibre, and as a hard brick. It needs to be soaked in water to soften it.

edit: whoops, just saw that copra is the meat, not the fibre. You definitely do not want to feed the worms the actual coconuts!

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pet store stocks it — it’s usually sold as coconut husk fibre, and as a hard brick. It needs to be soaked in water to soften it.
Is it the same as coconut coir? I have a bunch of those bricks. I can't even remember why I bought them. I think It was for my potted plants.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the same as coconut coir? I have a bunch of those bricks. I can't even remember why I bought them. I think It was for my potted plants.
Yes, that's it. My SO uses it for his vermiculture, and it's certainly great for plants, so it's one of those aquarium costs that you can claim as a general household expense. ;)

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shipping included and all for $15? Here in Canada that is a bargain!! I might have to grab two. LOL How long did it take for your culture to take off so you could start using them?
I can’t remember exactly how long they took to take off as it was a few years ago. But I do remember it taking quite a while initially. Maybe a month or so. Just make sure to feed small amounts at first to keep mold at bay until they’re established.

same for grindals. Mites tend to take off in them initially but once the culture is going properly the mites can’t compete and should all disappear.

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's it. My SO uses it for his vermiculture, and it's certainly great for plants, so it's one of those aquarium costs that you can claim as a general household expense. ;)
Coco coir is my favourite to use as well. I personally hated using potting mix. I found it packed too much, was harder to separate worms from and caused issues for me.

Last edited:

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm just happy I can finally make use of the eight bricks I still have lying around. LOL

Tathamet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fridge is about 40 degrees. Is this too cold for white worms. I know black worms are okay.
I would say yes it’s too cold. I’m sure they would keep fine at that temp but doubt they’d reproduce well if at all. I believe the ideal range was 50-60 or 65f. anything above or below and production slows/halts

my wine fridge is set at its lowest 49f but actually sits around 55f

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I could order white worms to start a culture that will survive shipping this time of year. I’ve tried getting some shipped to me multiple times within the last month or so and they don’t survive.
I’m in WV so there is no lfs to speak of, much less one that would have any live worms. I’m to the point where I would drive to a surrounding state to get them if necessary.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know where I could order white worms to start a culture that will survive shipping this time of year. I’ve tried getting some shipped to me multiple times within the last month or so and they don’t survive.
I’m in WV so there is no lfs to speak of, much less one that would have any live worms. I’m to the point where I would drive to a surrounding state to get them if necessary.
From some posts back and forth with @Miami Reef and other users, it could depend on where you live, but most likely it will not survive shipping from anyone during this time of year. Fall or early spring are probably your best bets.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might know someone

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small cube fridge in the garage is around 50 degrees. Trying to get it warmer but it is almost off lol's. Any chance that this will work?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My small cube fridge in the garage is around 50 degrees. Trying to get it warmer but it is almost off lol's. Any chance that this will work?
I have a spare mini fridge that I am going to setup to use for white worms. I’ve never used one so I can’t say how well it’ll work but you can buy cheap temp controllers designed to turn off equipment then the temp gets too low. Essentially an aquarium heater controller (think InkBird) only working in reverse.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back