White Worm Looking Things on my Neon Green Cabbage Leather

Hordearii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I'm wondering if you all can help me figure out what pest is on my neon green cabbage leather? They are white and are about 4mm long and 1 to 1.5mm thick. They only seem to be in my cabbage leather and nothing else in the tank as far as I can tell. I did a RODI rinse and it seemed like only one fell off and the rest remained anchored to the coral somehow and the cabbage leather seemed to dispel some of its zooxanthellae when returned to the water after the RODI dip.. so I am wondering if anyone can help identify these for me and advise how to get rid of these pests since a freshwater dip clearly didn't work. I am new to the hobby and am a few months in on my 135gal DT. All corals were dipped in Seachem coral dip and given a rinse in RODI before being added to the tank, so I assume these hitchhikers came from eggs that made it through. All other corals in the tank are LPS other than a couple photosynthetic gorgonians, is this likely to spread? There has been some cosmetic damage to the cabbage leather since these work looking things showed up 3 days or so ago (as far as I saw anyways), the leather was already growing well before this, but between the surface damage from whatever this pest is and the dip this morning not going very well I'm not sure how it will do now. Appreciate the help! Will try to get a photo if I find another one that is obviously visible.

OP
OP
Hordearii

Hordearii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have confirmed these are a pest as they were burrowed into the flesh of the leather. I took the rock out and was able to manually remove about a dozen of these worms, some moving, and some burrowed into the flesh. The larger, thicker one circled in the top right was nearly entirely below the skin of the leather, you can see on photo of the coral the large hole in the middle near the base is where this one was pulled out. I tried to be quite thorough, but I'm sure there are more, or at least eggs I'm not seeing. The coral was actively growing even with the infection up until I tried to intervene today when it started to looked damaged in a few areas. Any ideas what I'm dealing with and how to eradicate them before my cabbage leather dies? I don't have enough Prazipro for the tank, but I have enough to dip the rock?

PXL_20220912_232642191.NIGHT~2.jpg PXL_20220912_232751262.MP.jpg

OP
OP
Hordearii

Hordearii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me with this? I took a picture this morning before the lights came on where you can see two of them starting to burrow into the coral. Please help I want to know if I should dose my main tank with Prazipro.. or if that would even help?

Attachments

• PXL_20220913_152131215~2.jpg
    PXL_20220913_152131215~2.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 58

rdh_19901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have confirmed these are a pest as they were burrowed into the flesh of the leather. I took the rock out and was able to manually remove about a dozen of these worms, some moving, and some burrowed into the flesh. The larger, thicker one circled in the top right was nearly entirely below the skin of the leather, you can see on photo of the coral the large hole in the middle near the base is where this one was pulled out. I tried to be quite thorough, but I'm sure there are more, or at least eggs I'm not seeing. The coral was actively growing even with the infection up until I tried to intervene today when it started to looked damaged in a few areas. Any ideas what I'm dealing with and how to eradicate them before my cabbage leather dies? I don't have enough Prazipro for the tank, but I have enough to dip the rock?

PXL_20220912_232642191.NIGHT~2.jpg PXL_20220912_232751262.MP.jpg
I’ve got similar ones on mine. I’ve just thrown it away! No idea what they are

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back