Whitecap Gobies are awesome!

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome and TINY!

Anyhow I just got my little guy and his shrimpy friend and promised some people I'd post about their progress. Plus they are just awesome so here goes.

Here they are right before acclimation! Funny thing happened when I put them in. They dissapperaed for a little while and then I found the shrimp digging but no goby. Then I saw my randall's pistol(!) which I though was long gone and with him- the goby. So the shrimp is missing his big snapping claw but once he gets it back I bet he will "fix" things, if you... know what I mean. :beated:

3dbd3af4.jpg

With my PINKY finger for size comparison (no my pinky is not abnormally large haha):
40c92ac0.jpg

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's actually in my 29g so, not so pico. But I think that's pushing it as far as tank size goes. Too much bigger and you'd loose him. Plus if you have the right shrimp, he wouldn't be able to move in a pico. He's huge!

Oh and something cool about their interaction that I noticed during acclimation- When the goby is near the shrimp and starts to stray away, the shrimp will actually grab the goby with his mini claws and pull him back! How crazy! And the goby tolerates it! I never saw that with my yashia goby or any other goby/pistol pair I've seen!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah you'd think it'd be an easy meal but they are like a married couple. would never hurt each other and actually help each other.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude I want a video of him pulling the goby back, that would be a ridiculously awesome video!! If anything hilarious.. it;d be like an old married couple. ;)

FateX8

Frag Dragon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never seen one that small!
really nice! id like to see that video too!!!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys! He isn't with the big pistol right now. He is with my old, long thought dead, randall's pistol. Like I said I think once the big on regrows his big claw he will make it so only one pistol exists. but either way i think the goby will return to the big one once his burrow is complete.

It was so weird how he did it. he would pull the goby back and sorta shove him underneath his body while he stepped forward and then in front of the fish! I've really never seen anything like it!

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's true!! I have seen it happen, it's a awesome relationship between the two, mind boggling really.. I'm soooo jealous!!!!!!!!!! Sweet pickup, keep us posted!!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will and thank you so much for everything.

Something else you should note guys is how small this goby really is. I mean I have never seen a fish in this hobby as small as this. Even my trimma goby in my reef tank is twice the size of this guy. Heck even my randall's pistol is bigger than him!

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swet looking pair and talk about micro machine size!! You gotta get some head on pictures so when can see him better!!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Swet looking pair and talk about micro machine size!! You gotta get some head on pictures so when can see him better!!

As soon as he starts coming further out of his burrow and I can get a direct line of sight on him with my camera you can bet I'll take pics! I might have to get a macro lens though!

OP
OP
Bongo Shrimp

Bongo Shrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:::UPDATE:::

Yesterday I found the goby in the burrow of the red spot pistol! He must actually prefer the bigger pistol to the randalls. I would get pics but this is literally the most timid fish EVER! He barely goes near the entrance to the burrow. Usually with a flashlight I can barely see the goby's head or tail inside the hole. I'm so happy they're alive :).

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:::UPDATE:::

Yesterday I found the goby in the burrow of the red spot pistol! He must actually prefer the bigger pistol to the randalls. I would get pics but this is literally the most timid fish EVER! He barely goes near the entrance to the burrow. Usually with a flashlight I can barely see the goby's head or tail inside the hole. I'm so happy they're alive :).
can't wait to see pics in burrow!

tclipse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome and TINY!

Anyhow I just got my little guy and his shrimpy friend and promised some people I'd post about their progress. Plus they are just awesome so here goes.

Here they are right before acclimation! Funny thing happened when I put them in. They dissapperaed for a little while and then I found the shrimp digging but no goby. Then I saw my randall's pistol(!) which I though was long gone and with him- the goby. So the shrimp is missing his big snapping claw but once he gets it back I bet he will "fix" things, if you... know what I mean. :beated:

Dude... EXACT same thing happened to me! I hadn't seen my Randall's shrimp in about 3 months, added a goby and he reappeared pretty much overnight.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back