Who’s ordered sea lettuce from AlgaeBarn?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And did yours smell very strong and earthy/musty? I assume it’s normal I didn’t find any conclusive answers other than other people said it smelled too. Does bacteria grow during shipping? Does the smell go away? Does AlgaeBarn use a weird product that makes it smell?

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I had some other sea lettuce before and it was definitely a different species. I know there’s several different kinds. I don’t think it’s dead.

Last edited:

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures? The sea lettuce I received from indoorcoral on eBay smelled slightly of anaerobic decay upon arrival (decaying sea lettuce releases hydrogen sulfide; the fumes have even caused deaths during algal blooms), though the thalli were firm in composition and immediately began growing in my refugium. I never tried smelling the algae again, though it never gave my tank water a rancid odor.

SteamReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And did yours smell very strong and earthy/musty? I assume it’s normal I didn’t find any conclusive answers other than other people said it smelled too. Does bacteria grow during shipping? Does the smell go away? Does AlgaeBarn use a weird product that makes it smell?
I ordered sea lettuce from algae barn a while ago. Although I don't remember the smell, I don't recall there being any odor, or at least not an odor that I found to be any cause for concern.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Pictures? The sea lettuce I received from indoorcoral on eBay smelled slightly of anaerobic decay upon arrival (decaying sea lettuce releases hydrogen sulfide; the fumes have even caused deaths during algal blooms), though the thalli were firm in composition and immediately began growing in my refugium. I never tried smelling the algae again, though it never gave my tank water a rancid odor.
Well that’s reassuring…NOT! :grimacing-face: It looks okay and I added a lot to a little tank. I might end up removing some I probably added too much. But it’s a macroalgae tank and it’s only 6 gallons/the filter keeps getting clogged with sea lettuce I need to use another filter or a sponge guard. My lobster I know is loving it though. I also happen to have a stronger nose than most people which doesn’t help.
AA839F58-D8BF-4F41-A12B-FF835F404DC6.jpeg
23977C65-0B94-42D0-8D5F-A5C7A257881D.jpeg

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s another question I added some to my main tank. Will it eventually get eaten? I don’t have tangs. I have a pair of clownfish, a damsel, and a midas blenny. I saw them take a bite to try it and swim away. Which also means I don’t have to feed them frozen which is not near my tank lol for a few days if it does lol.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another question I added some to my main tank. Will it eventually get eaten? I don’t have tangs. I have a pair of clownfish, a damsel, and a midas blenny. I saw them take a bite to try it and swim away. Which also means I don’t have to feed them frozen which is not near my tank lol for a few days if it does lol.
Damselfish (including clownfish) are omnivores that ignore macroalgae like Ulva. Many blennies are largely herbivorous but are generally said to be safe with macroalgae as well. I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions with the blenny, however, since Ulva is one of the more palatable macroalgae... it is a fast grower though, so I guess it could recover from infrequent grazing.
My tank has a similar fish stock with two Chromis damsels (Chromis cyanea and Chromis viridis) and a tail-spot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura). The Chromis only use the macroalgae as shelter while the blenny occasionally takes small bites out of my Caulerpa garden on its hunt for film algae, which quickly heal up.
How are you anchoring the algae and what invertebrates do you have?
Seriously thinking about adding a box of baking soda into my room or a bunch of these around the tank lol!
E2130DAA-9871-4903-8960-CF4AC5825685.png
The product description says these are scented, so I would be cautious of putting them near an aquarium.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Damselfish (including clownfish) are omnivores that ignore macroalgae like Ulva. Many blennies are largely herbivorous but are generally said to be safe with macroalgae as well. I wouldn't want to jump to any conclusions with the blenny, however, since Ulva is one of the more palatable macroalgae... it is a fast grower though, so I guess it could recover from infrequent grazing.
My tank has a similar fish stock with two Chromis damsels (Chromis cyanea and Chromis viridis) and a tail-spot blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura). The Chromis only use the macroalgae as shelter while the blenny occasionally takes small bites out of my Caulerpa garden on its hunt for film algae, which quickly heal up.
How are you anchoring the algae and what invertebrates do you have?

The product description says these are scented, so I would be cautious of putting them near an aquarium.
That makes sense a box of baking soda it is. It’s on a seaweed clip. I know my starfish or my urchin may eat it too. My starfish is probably more likely too lol.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense a box of baking soda it is. It’s on a seaweed clip. I know my starfish or my urchin may eat it too. My starfish is probably more likely too lol.
There isn't much information on the diet of Goniaster tessellatus (btw how's Cookie?) but urchins would definitely be interested in the Ulva (and a variety of other macroalgae).

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your weird.... :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
I use the MarineLand prefilter, It will help with the clogging
You can stick it on the inputs of a power filter. Fluval has smaller ones but they clog much more quickly than the marineland which has more surface area.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There isn't much information on the diet of Goniaster tessellatus (btw how's Cookie?) but urchins would definitely be interested in the Ulva (and a variety of other macroalgae).
I know I’ve seen him eat algae or anything I give him though so I have a feeling he will eat it once he finds it. Let me tag you in another post. I know his diet is microorganisms in the sand etc. naturally. Such as phytoplankton but not much beyond that. He’s great. He survived a NOPOX overdose and the shock/ordeal of that too. I notice he likes to sit/hang on the side of my clove polyps and he moves around a lot. I’m assuming he’s exploring it and may be eating some things on the side of it as there’s lots of little hitchhikers on it.
C8B7BC3C-B943-4545-8894-3B79D49B4C0A.jpeg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how to add a quote/comment from another post or it’s not working but here’s my little update.
Go to the "+Quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote and it will add it to your quote list:
Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.31.52 PM.png

It should now appear under "INSERT QUOTES" in the reply box (which is not present if you have not saved any posts):
Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.33.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-12-02 at 10.35.11 PM.png

I know I’ve seen him eat algae or anything I give him though so I have a feeling he will eat it once he finds it. Let me tag you in another post. I know his diet is microorganisms in the sand etc. naturally. Such as phytoplankton but not much beyond that. He’s great. He survived a NOPOX overdose and the shock/ordeal of that too. I notice he likes to sit/hang on the side of my clove polyps and he moves around a lot. I’m assuming he’s exploring it and may be eating some things on the side of it as there’s lots of little hitchhikers on it.
C8B7BC3C-B943-4545-8894-3B79D49B4C0A.jpeg
Thanks for the info! It's always awesome to see sea stars like these thriving!
I also forgot to add earlier that @AlgaeBarn's sea lettuce is listed as being Ulva lactuca.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go to the "+Quote" button at the bottom of the post you want to quote and it will add it to your quote list:

It should now appear under "INSERT QUOTES" in the reply box (which is not present if you have not saved any posts):

I also forgot to add earlier that @AlgaeBarn's sea lettuce is listed as being Ulva lactuca.
I saw that. And I saw Ulva sp. in some places on their website. I guess that could be ulva spinulosa.

OP
OP
AydenLincoln

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Got it. Now I know for next time. Thanks.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 58 49.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 64 54.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.7%
Back