Who’s torn out old corals to make room for new?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing some pretty nice colonies in this thread. Large mature corals are proof of our success and I enjoy seeing a mature tank with big colonies versus 200 tiny nubs.

We should all show restraint in what we put in our tanks to avoid pulling it out and throwing it away down the line. I think there is usually a broke reefer in your area that would love whatever you’re tossing. :)

I say prune to leave room for diversity but don’t rip out large attractive colonies simply because they got too big.
Agree 100%.
I gave my 25 nano away last weekend. Also gave 3 different rather large frags away too.
Its funny when people gets good size frags for nothing. So many are used to nubs for $'s lol.
Feedback from 2 reefers was I have this and this, let me know if you want anytime.
Its hard in my area as many have awesome tanks, so they say, but have no pics.
This weekend im donating 6 frags to lfs to help them out.
I would rather trade but its hard to find open reefers in my area.

Tink

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some more to "fragging" to do. Toadstools next.

I'm curious to see how you go about the toadstools. I have a massive weeping willow that isn't in my favorite spot and the rock it's attached to is not moveable. No real way to cut or break the rock either. I imagine I would have to cut the massive stalk, but I've never attempted it on one so large. Curious how you move yours and how the deal with the process.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me it has been a like green Monti cap that I took to my LFS in a large cooler, a pink birdsnest that I fragged about 200 pieces off putting it into a 5g bucket for its trip to the LFS, and a montipora confusa that I’ve taken a hacksaw to several times - it’s too thick to use my bone cutters on!

NashobaTek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone in the Dallas, Tyler Texas area, I would be happy to get a few coral frags from you. My tank is a 125 hitting a year old. The only fish in it is a pinnatus bat, Hippo tang, couple clowns and 3 fat Happy mandarins

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, it seems to happen about once per month or two. And now I'm running into the problem that I have to massively trim down colonies that I love and wanted to get huge. Well, they're huge but becoming a problem by taking up too much space! It's hard to even sell pieces because of the sheer amount... so I'm afraid I'll probably just have to turn some of my corals into fuel for the CA reactor. This is now my reality... actually a good problem to have for an SPS keeper.

Riphter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have pulled whole rocks out and chiseled off chunks to remove a coral they go to friends or the lfs.

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to pull one of my 6 rbt anemone’s. Started as one 3 years ago. Split several times since then. It has become more of a nuisance these days. It was creeping up towards my Miyagi tort and I was worried it was gonna start stinging it everywhere.
You wouldn’t happen to want to ship any of your rtb?

Casket_Case

Frags in the Frathouse
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn’t do that or I’d feel bad... I get emotionally attached to anything in my tank lol. I talk to my coral. I’d just pluck them out and make them a nice place on the sandbed XD

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange capricornus has grown out of control. If I hadn’t culled back 90% of it, half of my 180 would be orange by now. I also have tried to give stuff away, but it has not been easy, so I cull. I have stuff now I could prune, if anyone wants free acros, branching frogspawn, branching hammer...

Triple.T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took a bunch out today for a new reefer in my area. Gave him a NIB frag rack too lol.

Last edited:

Smcevoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orange capricornus has grown out of control. If I hadn’t culled back 90% of it, half of my 180 would be orange by now. I also have tried to give stuff away, but it has not been easy, so I cull. I have stuff now I could prune, if anyone wants free acros, branching frogspawn, branching hammer...
Sent you a PM

rogersb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ripping them out but cutting them down. In the last few months I cut out 50-60 heads of candy cane, almost 20 heads of frogspawn, and over the last year more than 30 heads of torch. Corals grow and need to be kept to size.

Reefermadness92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody from this thread is still trying to donate or even sell some softie or LPS in the ETX area. I’m in need. We don’t have a good LFS in Tyler, TX and I have a 50g cube and 20g nuvo tank that both just hit the 4 month mark. I’d really like to start adding some corals from local reefers rather than ordering from AAF or WWC every time...which is great! just not for your wallet..

Back