Who’s torn out old corals to make room for new?

Kellie in CA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I recently did an overhaul on my tank. 3 things had to go. GSP (the constant maintenance to keep them in check became too much of a chore), ugly freebie Chalice (was stinging everything) and a huge blob of duncans (had a weird shape and flopped all over killing everything around it.

I was totally shocked that after cutting those duncans completely off the rock the tissue grew back and 6 weeks later I have 7 new fully formed baby duncans.

Robert Asbury

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that eventually I'll not like some of my corals as much as others; but I couldn't even imagine just throwing out unwanted ones. They're living animals.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't even imagine just throwing out unwanted ones. They're living animals.
If you mow your lawn, or weed a garden, this is a hypocritical statement.

I've tossed a few. Parts I've cut off that wouldn't do well as a frag, frags that just didn't grow. Or corals that just grow too quickly. Luckily I've been able to trade in far more to the LFS than I have tossed.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20200523_200327663.jpg

IMG_20200523_200031188.jpg

DSC_0167.JPG

Got some more to "fragging" to do. Toadstools next.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had to cut out and remove so many colonies of various SPS and ocasionally LPS, but I now stick to the slower growers there. In the time it takes me to grow out a favia frag to a softball size colony I can grow out a chalice to be the size of a large pizza and most acropora to be basketball size. Right now I'm contending with a chalice in my display that grew from a chunk I didn't chip away fully that is about 16" across and I don't know what to even do with now...

Pocilopora, montis, super fast growing sps in general, and anything that can take up a lot of real estate in a few years time is banned from being added to main rock work in displays.

KenO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have a Red Monti as one of the corals that has really been growing like a weed. It’s on my short to go.
Don’t trash it Ken, I’ll take it off your hands. What else do you want to get rid of?

Stoneys'Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the feeling . We have huge colonies of Purple Trumpet and green Trumpets. They grow like mad in our tank and are now taking up huge real estate in our display . Some are the size of basketballs almost.
20200603_195129.jpg
20200603_195134.jpg
20200603_195139.jpg

Allan3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently overhauled the right side of my Tank. I had a Birdsnest that grew huge & was shading most of the rock work below. I originally put Zoanthids on the rock work (not knowing that I would go SPS Dominant) they grew over EVERYTHING.
I rearranged the Aquascape, got a few new rocks & got all new SPS frags that I been eyeing for a while.

jreece11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m seeing some pretty nice colonies in this thread. Large mature corals are proof of our success and I enjoy seeing a mature tank with big colonies versus 200 tiny nubs.

We should all show restraint in what we put in our tanks to avoid pulling it out and throwing it away down the line. I think there is usually a broke reefer in your area that would love whatever you’re tossing. :)

I say prune to leave room for diversity but don’t rip out large attractive colonies simply because they got too big.

Eraygunz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think of all the creatures in my tank as living things that I am responsible for.
I try not to throw out anything.
I have re-homed a few fish and things.
But, I won’t just throw them away .
Not judging others, just the way I live.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back