Who’s torn out old corals to make room for new?

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us are limited by space inside our pieces of ocean. I’m guilty of putting in “starter” corals just to get something in it. Initially, I put some basic/plain corals in my tank and now regret it. Wether it’s a growth type or color that isn’t appealing to me, they gotta go.

Who else has had “coral buyers remorse“ and took out some to make room for new or different coral?

I’m looking at several in my tank that will be getting rehomed or just trashed.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would NOT call it “buyer’s remorse” bc ai loved watching my red monti cap grow, but it def occupied a lot of space and became a haven for aiptasia. Now that it is gone, I miss it :/

Stuff was everywhere and grew like a weed
08583451-0AD9-449B-9DF6-6B3800E94719.jpeg
68198D73-B3F2-451D-A94D-DDFA0FE4B2C3.jpeg
12E9B151-D9AC-4503-8F7D-5D2196C53C2A.jpeg

OP
OP
A

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have a Red Monti as one of the corals that has really been growing like a weed. It’s on my short to go.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do change my mind a lot on what I want to keep in my reef, probably guilty of this :rolleyes:

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I pulled my elkhorn monti. It is a true coral weed in my system.
I have about 6 frags left as I have a frag system I can put them in.
I put a piece back in as I like them and will just remove and frag down the road.
Its already showing growth 1 week after being fragged lol.
It went from a 2" frag to this in 6 months.
20200404_183625.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sadly I have accidentally killed corals many times to make room for more corals! Ha!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to tear out colonies every three years, or so - even nice stuff. They can grow from 1" frags to completely fill the tank in that time. If you are good at this, then it will happen to you too.

Bryknicks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I usually trade or sell of anything I no longer "have" (want) room for.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it a step further and completely rebooted my mature reef to get rid of all of those colonies I initially purchased because they were easy to keep.....but not always the best looking or ideal species for my tank.

Aclman88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many of us are limited by space inside our pieces of ocean. I’m guilty of putting in “starter” corals just to get something in it. Initially, I put some basic/plain corals in my tank and now regret it. Wether it’s a growth type or color that isn’t appealing to me, they gotta go.

Who else has had “coral buyers remorse“ and took out some to make room for new or different coral?

I’m looking at several in my tank that will be getting rehomed or just trashed.

I have had this a few times as I am stocking a really small tank. Luckily, it was Xenia and I was able to sell it cheap to some local reefers to make room for more Acans.

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this green Acro and this brown/tan Acro that are growing like weeds.. they need to go to make room for some Tenuis.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the exact same thing. I chose a bunch of cheap, hardy, fast growing monti cap, monti digi, purple slimer, green slimer etc and let it go crazy for a few years. What a mess it became. Leaving no room for anything prized.

So I bought these bad boy bone cutters and went to work.

I sold a few pounds on consignment. The rest are being recycled as pictured.

It was a painful exercise, honestly. I also pulled a bunch of rock out to get better flow and the tank has been unusually unstable since then. Cyano, dinos, falling ALK consumption, bouncy nutrients, etc etc.

As @jda notes, if you are successful aquaculturalist, you face either regular pruning, or a more dramatic tear down at some point.

IMG-4562.jpg IMG-4561.JPG

PHXReefguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bubbles on your bounce are so big I thought they were dendros for a second.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is softy dominated. I trim constantly and try to keep wayward mushrooms at bay. I've had some of these corals for about 10 years. I would have to do a major rebuild to rid some out of my system so I tolerate them in spots. I've been putting prettier zoas/palys in spots to see if they can gain a footing where I want diversity.

I don't bother with trying to trade/bring to LFS because I have a multitude of invasives like aiptasia, vemetids, etc., plus I don't have many local reefers up here that actually want the stuff I have.

Adam Schindler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just had to pull one of my 6 rbt anemone’s. Started as one 3 years ago. Split several times since then. It has become more of a nuisance these days. It was creeping up towards my Miyagi tort and I was worried it was gonna start stinging it everywhere.

DivingTheWorld

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I rip out colonies all the time. ;Woot I've pulled/scraped out most all my montis. I've also replaced most of the acros I originally started with because they were either a bit too boring for me or I had too much of one color. I try to have as many different colors mixed throughout the tank.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have done this plenty of times! In my original tank, I had a red planet acro that tried to take over the entire tank. Same with a monti cap. I tried to be a little more careful when I rebooted my 90 last fall, but I got caught up in live sales and I know I have more than I will ultimately want! I do trade with my LFS, who is currently undergoing a rebuild after tornado damage. I'm saving some goodies for his grand reopening! ;Joyful

I do need some new bone cutters. Mine are dull from chopping off the stem of frag plugs (I blame the live sales)!

Back