Who “literally” HAND FEEDS their fish???

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always admired the hobbyist and fish relationship when it comes to “hand feeding”. I’ve done it with one fish, my Unicorn Tang, but the food is Nori…a large piece of Nori. But my larger fish in my display, I just don’t want to lose a chunk of skin.

Who of you are brave enough?
7CF8C871-4ACE-4D5F-A30D-C9F91DFAD940.gif

Last edited:

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve always admired the hobbyist anf fish relationship when it comes to “hand feeding”. I’ve done it with one fish, my Unicorn Tang, but the food is Nori…a large piece of Nori. But my larger fish in my display, I just don’t want to lose a chunk of skin.

Who of you are brave enough?
7CF8C871-4ACE-4D5F-A30D-C9F91DFAD940.gif
Ha! Scared of those larger fish huh? Try sticking your hand close to my genetically engineered piranha clowns! Well, ok….not genetically engineered, but I’m sure if I did a 23and me test there would be piranha lineage in there somewhere!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ha! Scared of those larger fish huh? Try sticking your hand close to my genetically engineered piranha clowns! Well, ok….not genetically engineered, but I’m sure if I did a 23and me test there would be piranha lineage in there somewhere!
Hilarious! 23 and me dna fish test. :p

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I try to do this with all my fish. I even have a marine betta who does it (which also keeps him visible all day). Only fish I don't trust are young moray eels (after multiple bites, the big guys are a lot nicer/smarter) and large puffers (I see what they do to clam shells, I don't want that near my fingers).

Butterflies seem to be the most apt to do this since they prefer to eat from surfaces more than try to grab stuff from the water. I'm also starting to be more wary of boxfish; my solorensis almost took the hair off my finger once when I wasn't looking.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hand feed all my fish.

I literally take a chunk of frozen, and mush it between my fingers in the tank to thaw it.

While I'm at it, my clown, starry blenny, and leopards will come take pieces from my fingers. Luckily none of them have large enough teeth to break the skin, as they often times miss the food in their haste.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mine would if I let them. I take a piece of Larry's Reef Frenzy and hold it in front of a gyre. My Bristletooth Tang and Yellow Tang chases my hand for the food. Not sure I trust the Bristletooth! LOL

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hand feeding fish is the best!

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today, I’m going to have raw oysters and Chicken in a Biscuit crackers (livin the dream!) I’m going to try hand feeding my three large tangs and CBB some oyster. I hopefully got on their good side by just moments ago giving them some fresh strawberry. Update to follow.

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clowns would jump for food when held over the water, and would certainly eat from my hand. I thought that it was cute before I knew how clownfish worked, so I encouraged them biting my hand by giving them food whenever they did. Needless to say, they became vicious. Crazy little piranhas. I want to see River Monsters do an episode on clownfish.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back