Who actually owns a NooPsyche K7 V3? Reviews? (Viparspectra vs Nicrew vs NooPsyche)?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used the Viparspectra (although the 300 watt versions) and I am currently using the Noopsyche K7 V3 lights. The Viparspectra put out a ton of par, but I don't think their spectrum is as good. Plus other than basic on/off of two channels there is no control.

The Noopsyche caused better coloration in some of my corals and do allow for ramping up and down. Their controller is very cheaply made and not user friendly but not too bad once you figure it out. It seems like I've had better growth with the Noopsyche lights, but there are so many factors that could effect that I'm not sure it's fair to say that it was necessarily the lights.

Either option will grow corals, but between the two I like the Noopsyches much better than the Viparspectras.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noopsyches have 6 seperate channels to get the look you want, as for how going strongly white will effect par I can't say. I've never taken a par reading with my lights leaning more towards a white look. I will say that I am currently running no channel over 40% so I suspect par won't be an issue but I also have 6 lights over my 125g tank, which is considerably more than reccomended by Noopsyche. I also am currently not getting the par as high as I'd like for my SPS although at my current settings SPS are still growing well, so I am getting ready to increase the output of the noopsyche lights.
One other thing I should mention is when you turn the intensity up on the Noopsyches the fans run and are noticeable. I don't find it annoying but I know another user who did. The viparspectras have a fan noise but it's constant because the fans don't change speeds based on heat so it isn't as obvious IMO.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning on taking some par reading of my lights tomorrow anyway so I can start raising the intensity. I'm aiming for about 450 at the top of my rockwork.

If you think it would be helpful tomorrow I should be able to share my settings and what par I'm currently getting. I can also try taking a picture of my tank to show how white/blue it is, but I've learned from experience it's hard to accurately represent with a picture.

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using vipar lights for about 3 years and I’m very pleased with them. I had two over my 90g and have one on a 40b now. I have my white channel set at 12% and the blues at 20%. Heres a couple pics when both light channels are on, no filters.

I’ve never used noops myself though a LFS has 8 of them over a tank and I’m not a fan of the spectrum, though it could just be the settings.
2E6F23A2-74C6-4115-9ABB-4CEBA7419F7E.jpeg
C527891E-0077-4219-B5C9-F80C2903FD6D.jpeg

Last edited:

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I own 3 (fourth one arrives Friday). Overall, I am VERY happy with my NooPsyches. I put these on par (pun intended) with Radion Ecotechs (which I owned prior to the NooPsyches). The controller is janky, the fans are a bit loud...get past this, you have some quality lights at a good price. Good coral growth. Happy tank

Buildthread has a write up and some videos if you want to check them out.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I've got 4 @noopsyche lights - 1 K7 Pro II 90 watt, 2 K7 V3 140 watt, and 1 K7 V3 75 watt, 2 Viparspectra 165 watt, and 1 Nicrew 50 watt. I love the spectrum way. The Viparspectra both have too much red and green for my liking and grow algae like crazy! 1 of them burned the "white" strip out in around 3 months (arced in 3 places) but the other one is doing good still. They're now on my planted freshwater tank. The Nicrew is on my 5 gallon AIO. I have to have the blue turned up to 75% and the white to 10% to get any color pop from my corals - red/green is off completely because it didn't blend. Growth on my Lepto and stylophora are amazing! My digitata became a ball of fluff and put out some crazy long streamers so they do grow coral. My @noopsyche lights are by far my favorite! I can control each color led separate from the others in increments of 1%. I can add white and still get that "pop" from my corals. My digitata and monti caps are growing like weeds and a couple of my "higher end" montis had died under my Nicrew but are now growing again under the Noops.

If I had to choose between the 3, I'd stay away from the Vipars myself. Noops are by far my favorite.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm using the np lights. Never had the vispara. Noop par levels are very high at 80%. Took me several weeks to acclimate my corals to the noops.

I had the orbit marine ic leds and will never go back to that led.

I still miss t5's.

If you really want leds, the np k7v3 is awesome. I really can't add more to what @Gtinnel and @BroccoliFarmer and @tbrown3589 has said.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Mibu !!!! Hey there! Haven't got to hang out with you on here in a while.
Husband, son and myself have been recovering from the flu. Little monster barely gave me any free time. He's 70% back to normal now. So i get some free time. Not a whole lot!

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Husband, son and myself have been recovering from the flu. Little monster barely gave me any free time. He's 70% back to normal now. So i get some free time. Not a whole lot!
Glad to hear you guys are recovering! Get rested and better!

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add the Smat Farm G5 light to your list of options too.

I'd do the Smat Farm over a Viparspectra all day long. I've been running both over my tank (smat farm and viparspectra) but just went ahead and ordered more Smat Farm lights to replace the remaining Viparspectra.

I have not had the Nicrew or the Noop, but for the price ($130 currently) the Smat Farm lights are hard to beat.
Great shimmer, great spread, and great spectrum, 6 channels, ability to ramp up/down, moonlight setting, etc.. no app control though, but they do link wirelessly in a master/slave mode so you can run several and sync them wirelessly.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I ran some par reading on my tank. I was wrong my setting on my 6 noopsyche lights were considerably lower than I thought.
20220119_170601.jpg

The par at the top of my tank was at 180 (lower than I expected).

I then turned up my settings on my lights to this
20220119_171459.jpg

and the par in that same spot went up to 240. I had originally set all of these intensities up by 2% more than the picture shows and the par was 260.

While changing my setting I accidentally turned the lights up to 95% and the tank was insanely bright to where it was hard to look at. I now have no doubt that these 6 lights can put out plenty of par. Unfortunately I didn't have the sensor in the water at the time.

I tried taking a pic of the tank but it didn't really help with the looks of the tank. Because of the coralline algea everything just looks pink.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add the Smat Farm G5 to my list. I've got the checkout screen for the Noop K7 out because of its extra 40 watts. I was hoping to get away with 1 light over a 40G breeder until I get into SPS.
You're probably already aware but if you do go with Noopsyche if you order from noopsychereeflight.com (which is ordering directly from china) they're running a 36% off sale. They're on sale more often than not, but 36% is a pretty good amount. The highest discount I've seen was 40% which is when I bought mine.

Zach B

Noo-Psyche Sales Rep
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I own both @noopsyche & vipar spectras on seperate tanks. I can tell you with 100% certainty that the K7 V3's are much better, hands down. The vipars will grow coral but you get so many more options and better spread/color with the Noo-Psyche's. Best of luck :)

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have already ordered them if a controller wasn’t an extra $35-$40. I was originally shopping in the ~$150 range but I think I’m going with NPs.
They can be used without the controller but you miss the ability to ramp up and down and adjust each channel individually. If you get Noopsyche it's definitely worth it to get the controller.

Also, if you buy the Noopsyche from noopsychereeflight.com you have to pay half of the shipping, which for me was around $30 for a single light.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back