Who ate my deresa clam over night?

Roytrolls247

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would for sure try a Worm trap of some sort I linked FISH OF HEX online store check him out he is a great source of info as well imo...

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only things I can find different are white tiny bibles with holes on one of my trochus and 1 red spot on a torch which has not moved in weeks

8331024E-3228-4888-8297-2EAC07EFDF16.jpeg
7DBF8A21-85FF-4C1A-8C8A-8B66ACE37733.jpeg

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would for sure try a Worm trap of some sort I linked FISH OF HEX online store check him out he is a great source of info as well imo...

Great. Thank you

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photos are a bit tough - but I'm not seeing any new growth on them.

Generally, clams are either laying down new she'll material, or dying.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would strongly suggest building a funnel trap and checking to see if you don't have some worms of some sort I went through this exact same situation in the culprit was a flatworm

Bristle worms? They don't bother live clams. No need to remove them

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a squamosa clam die on me a few months ago it was fine the day before the next morning all my snails were eating it
And this is the reason I've never paid the price for one of those beautiful clams. I have no experience with them and I wouldnt want to lose money like that.

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take some kind of plastic water bottle poke holes in the side of it insert straws into the holes put a silver side in it
1603896645354587641901707697961.jpg
You can also cut the top of a bottle and flip it inside out. Put food inside and whatever goes in usally cant get out. Probably works better for fish or shrimp then worms.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is it possible it was a flat worm? Slight chance, Slight chance it could have been a 100 + different things.

Most likely it died and the clean up crew ate it. Nassarius snails are highly efficient at eating dead things.

Small clams are hard.

OP
OP
rpkneumann

rpkneumann

Texas Reefer since 2020
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One person says 'trap flatworms', a bunch of people say there is nothing to worry about, yet you are going to try to catch worms?
I want to further investigate if I have flatworms.
I do not think that i have an infestation.
I'm not convinced yet.
So far they show up no where else.

The clam was doing fine, no signs of health issues. It got fed, had enough light. Just strange.
Absolutely licked clean.
But it's not my first clam dying over night.
I had a small maxima (less than 2 inches) and moved her around to much because she kept falling off the rocks. After a week she got tired and gave up.
All with the same cleaning crew. All the flesh as still there. And I left ehr in the tank for a couple of days to make sure she wasn't coming back.

So now a month later i thought try it with a bigger more hardy derasa. Planted her on the substrate. She opened up right away and got even wider when i fed her.
Looked all ok to me.

I was just surprised with this one that there was nothing left within basically 8 hours. No trace of any worms either.

Going to watch the tank intensely for a couple of days for bugs and then decide.

I do usually quarantine everything and dip my corals. So if a bug came in it hitchhiked with this clam which did not go through this routine.

BTW.
I appreciate everybody's advise. I really do and it makes me learn a lot.
Every post I'm learning something new about this hobby and it sure can get complex.
I like to investigate before I act.
That's why I like the quote on your link to the sceptical reefkeeping:
"If “Joe Yaiullo’s Magic Juice” existed, it would do whatever Joe said it would because Joe would test it. Joe rolls like that."
I do not know Joe... and thats exactly the reason why I do not follow every advise immediately.
It would help to have some further evidence before I'm pursuing anything. and possibly turning things to the worse.

Last edited:

MabuyaQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small clams are always a gamble, and only by feeding sufficient phytoplankton have I been able to get them to grow at a decent rate when this small.

Thales

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to further investigate if I have flatworms.
I do not think that i have an infestation.
I'm not convinced yet.
So far they show up no where else.

Thanks!

If I am reading the thread correctly, someone said something about flatworms, and then posted about a bristle worm trap. The flatworm that we know eats clams does not do what you observed. Why do you think you have flatworms?

The clam was doing fine, no signs of health issues. It got fed, had enough light. Just strange.
Absolutely licked clean.
But it's not my first clam dying over night.
I had a small maxima (less than 2 inches) and moved her around to much because she kept falling off the rocks. After a week she got tired and gave up.
All with the same cleaning crew. All the flesh as still there. And I left ehr in the tank for a couple of days to make sure she wasn't coming back.

So now a month later i thought try it with a bigger more hardy derasa. Planted her on the substrate. She opened up right away and got even wider when i fed her.
Looked all ok to me.

Clams suck at life, little ones in tanks more so. Baby clams are really touchy, and they seem to have real problems going from culture with natural light to artifical conditions.

I was just surprised with this one that there was nothing left within basically 8 hours. No trace of any worms either.

If you have bristle worms, which everyone does, that is exactly what we would expect. Bristle worms are often not seen until you see them, but again, bristle worms are not a problem, they really only eat decaying matter.

You could have a different kind of euniced worm, but that seems very low probibility.

Going to watch the tank intensely for a couple of days for bugs and then decide.

Gotcha! :D

I do usually quarantine everything and dip my corals. So if a bug came in it hitchhiked with this clam which did not go through this routine.

BTW.
I appreciate everybody's advise. I really do and it makes me learn a lot.
Every post I'm learning something new about this hobby and it sure can get complex.
I like to investigate before I act.
That's why I like the quote on your link to the sceptical reefkeeping:
"If “Joe Yaiullo’s Magic Juice” existed, it would do whatever Joe said it would because Joe would test it. Joe rolls like that."
I do not know Joe... and thats exactly the reason why I do not follow every advise immediately.
It would help to have some further evidence before I'm pursuing anything. and possibly turning things to the worse.

Excellent!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back