Who bit you in your tank?

Arvind Arya

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sailfin Blenny did it to me yesterday. First time. I now look at this fish as my enemy

sfvmarine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gluing a new digi today and my lawnmower blenny decided to take a shot at me, he’s small and I have the hands of a lowland gorilla so not much of an event but got me thinking. In all the years how many times I’ve been bit in the tank. I had a maroon clown that truly enjoyed nipping me any time I stuck my hands in the tank but the worst was a shoal tang that was pure evil he once got me so good I was bleeding, though he did not bite, he slashed me That fish hated me so much anytime I went by the tank he did his best to attack me through the glass. Whenever I need to work on the tank my wife had to coral him with nets to keep me safe lol.

av8soulfly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me count the ways...
1. While working in a fish store a 2 inch octopus sucked onto the back of my hand and bit down.
2. So many damsels...so many bites (some have even broken skin). They seem to aim for that webbing between my fingers...you know, that extra sensitive area?
3. An 18 inch moray eel got my thumb pretty good once during feeding.
4. Many triggerfish have taken a shot at my hand, luckily they were all small and caused little damage/bleeding.
5. My butterflies are such voracious feeders, they will nip at my hands/arm while cleaning the tank.
6. Powder blue tang, chevron tang, tomini tang all have taken shots at my fingers.
7. Lots of freshwater fish and even a freshwater blue lobster (the kind with pincers).
8. Had a remora suck onto my forearm and leave a golf ball sized welt.
9. Bumped a long spine urchin and got stung pretty bad.
So, ya, I've been bitten by my fish in tanks.

Smarkow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temperate tank 1987 1 06142018.jpg

This guy caught me pretty good. Was in the middle of feeding him and got distracted while still holding a shrimp in my hand and my hand in the tank. Since he was already in a feeding frenzy he didn't care if I was looking or not. Chomp Chomp!;Inpain:oops:;Facepalm
Felt like this,
Thumb 4mp 008.jpg
What kind of shark is that!? And how are you keeping it?? :)
clicked your build thread but didn’t see that toothy monster :/

DrZoidburg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
shark nose gobies ransack my hand anytime I have to put them in there. I didn't read all this but I bet someone said damsels.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of shark is that!? And how are you keeping it?? :)
clicked your build thread but didn’t see that toothy monster :/
It's just a little Gray Smoothhound Shark, only about 20 inches long or so. They are fairly common off the California coast. Had him for a short time back in the 90s in a cool water temperate tank (Many tanks ago. See post 51) Straight from the all knowing internet, "Grey Smooth Hound Sharks feed primarily on crustaceans in the wild, ranging from crabs, shrimp, mollusks, clams, squid and small fish. In the home aquarium they will readily accept raw marine seafoods including: shrimp, small fish, chopped fish, clams, scallops, squid, mollusks or other similar uncooked marine meaty foods." And the occasional thumb!;Inpain Their teeth are designed to chomp through crab shells so my thumbnail didn't stand a chance. Only took a split second to do that. Now I can say that I have survived a shark attack.;Hilarious

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing yet, by the sound of it because I keep clown-free tanks, but I fear I have jinxed myself now and something else will get me soon.

Saltandfresh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My filefish used to attack me repeatedly when my hand was in the tank. It actually really hurt. Weeks later I re-homed him cause he was eating some corals. I actually kind of miss his sadistic personality.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have yet to be bitten by a fish ... just zapped by electricity.
Climate Change Earth GIF by GIPHY Studios Originals
About a week ago I had to clean my skimmer completely as it was trying to overflow. Two days ago I put it back. What I did not realize is that water was on my extension cord plug ins. When I picked it up with my right hand, it sent current up my arm through my chest, and was tingling in my left hand. It was looking for ground. If I was grounded I probably would not be typing this

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started to feed my fish slowly by using my fingers as a grinder to feed more slowly, and stop wasting or losing food. My cichlids ( the females only ) apparently the males are pomophobic lol. Will come and gently take pieces. In my new tank I did the same with my my 2 clownfish. I really wasn't paying attention, as they after 6 weeks in my tank were pretty shy. Well one of them attacked me like a shark. Thank goodness it is only an inch long. So I continued to feed that way, and it kept taking big runs at me. It is great fun

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I had to clean my skimmer completely as it was trying to overflow. Two days ago I put it back. What I did not realize is that water was on my extension cord plug ins. When I picked it up with my right hand, it sent current up my arm through my chest, and was tingling in my left hand. It was looking for ground. If I was grounded I probably would not be typing this
This may sound weird but I never put my hands in the tank now if I don't have slippers on. Someone else on here stands on a styrofoam box.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may sound weird but I never put my hands in the tank now if I don't have slippers on. Someone else on here stands on a styrofoam box.
From now on I am pulling the plug on anything. Got a jolt putting my hands in my tank once when the wire insulation was compromised on my power head

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 127 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back