Who cares about aiptasia!!!

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)

Who out there cares about aiptasia and other pests in your fowlr?

I've been struggling with this lately. In my giant hermit crab tank aiptasia are starting to take hold and I just can't decide if I care... I know they won't hurt anything in there. Do you guys just let them go? Or??

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your situation I wouldn’t care, I’d let em be. I realize I’m in the minority here. Only you can say whether they bother you or not ;-)

mindme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they didn't kill coral, I don't think I'd mind them.

But I've never run a fish only, so I don't know what it looks like if they grow out in numbers.

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I were in your situation I wouldn’t care, I’d let em be. I realize I’m in the minority here. Only you can say whether they bother you or not ;-)

1602981931651.gif

(kidding kidding) ;)

smacbride

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had quite a few several years ago and over time they all disappeared. I did have a Lemon Peal Angel in the tank which may have contributed to their demise. But I've haven't seen any for the last several years.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really think I’d care. But imo a strict FOWLR isn’t very exciting I’d have at least zoas/shrooms/Xenia. I don’t have an issue with aptasia until they sting my corals or take up real estate. Unfortunately every centimeter in my tank counts so nowhere for aptasia to hide anymore cause it’s all full of coral :)

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they didn't kill coral, I don't think I'd mind them.

But I've never run a fish only, so I don't know what it looks like if they grow out in numbers.

eventually will look like this :rolleyes:

6EB1AB0D-3235-4CFA-A540-103724B860AA.jpeg

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t really think I’d care. But imo a strict FOWLR isn’t very exciting I’d have at least zoas/shrooms/Xenia. I don’t have an issue with aptasia until they sting my corals or take up real estate. Unfortunately every centimeter in my tank counts so nowhere for aptasia to hide anymore cause it’s all full of coral :)
No coral will survive the giant crab. I'm shocked he doesn't eat aiptasia

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Anything I hate more than aptasia is two of them. If there is a few, I simply mix kalkwasser powder into a thin paste and inject via syringe into their center core and they melt away. If there is many, I recommend. . . . A blue face kleini buttefly which eats them like candy. If you get the regular kleini, it couldturn on your soft coral. Theyre friendly and eat all dry and frozen foods once the aptasia are gone

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything I hate more than aptasia is two of them. If there is a few, I simply mix kalkwasser powder into a thin paste and inject via syringe into their center core and they melt away. If there is many, I recommend. . . . A blue face kleini buttefly which eats them like candy. If you get the regular kleini, it couldturn on your soft coral. Theyre friendly and eat all dry and frozen foods once the aptasia are gone
Thanks for the recommendation but unfortunately there is no reef fish which can survive the wrath of the giant hermit. Many have tried! I actually had a very smart yellow tail damsel survive 3 months! But it had to sleep sometime...

I do have lots of kalk though!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
;)

Who out there cares about aiptasia and other pests in your fowlr?

I've been struggling with this lately. In my giant hermit crab tank aiptasia are starting to take hold and I just can't decide if I care... I know they won't hurt anything in there. Do you guys just let them go? Or??

I added colorful majano's to one of my nano's They are neon green with pink tips... love em! They come in purple and green too. You should try and find some of those to add.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added colorful majano's to one of my nano's They are neon green with pink tips... love em! They come in purple and green too. You should try and find some of those to add.
Do you have any pictures? I wouldn't be against that at all as long as they don't become lunch

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have any pictures? I wouldn't be against that at all as long as they don't become lunch

Tank is blue right now as it's late but here are some pics. They don't multiply as fast as aptasia and they seem to just split and form a little colony.

This is kind of becoming my "cool things I don't want in the big tank" tank... Xenia...mojano's... fast growing mushrooms.. and a peacock mantis shrimp now.

PXL_20201018_023428942.MP.jpg

PXL_20201018_023422151.MP.jpg

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 58.0%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 23 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back