Who do you trust to take care of your tank....

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Who do you trust to take care of your tank when you are away and what steps do you take to make sure your tank is safe and runs smoothly?

:)

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have everything automated. I can be gone 10 days and still have enough water to top off. I do have an emergency contact list of friends that are hobbiest, in case my house sitter has a problem. I do label the frozen food that the sitter just drops in to the tank once every 3 days. The auto feeder takes care of the rest.

m and m

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother is only 15 or 16 and doesnt have a job, He can't with sports/school and everything so I give him $50 a week to come over and just do crappy stuff such as weekly water change,media change, clean the sump,glass clean reflectores and stuff anything I personaly hate to do. Im slowly trying to groom him to be able to take long vacations again that I oh so miss.

Last time I went out for 12 days The tank watchers "thought" we where wasting ELC so she turned off the Heat/cooling in the house so my tank rose to like mid to high 80's and the they never added more water to my top off so it ran dry and my salanity went way up. =(

IPisces

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to do something about automating my tanks so I can be gone for a couple days at least. I live out in the boonies and dont have anyone in the area that knows anything about saltwater aquariums. My neighbor follows instructions pretty good, so I have them top off the tanks and dose, but not feed. I pray I dont end up in the hospital. I really need to work on an auto top off.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My brother is my number one tank watcher. He lives right below me in a duplex so he is close enough to check on it daily when I am gone. Honestly though it can watch itself for 3 - 4 days before needing anything. I also have the ACIII set up to email if there are any issues.

Secondary I have a few hobbiests in the area that will stop over if needed. They are just a phone call away and are happy to assist. I do the same in return if I am needed.

PS IPisces: Nice Betta in your pic :)

nicks387

Premium member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank can run itself for at least a week maybe even 2 if I needed. I went to Mexico not too long ago for a week and when I got back the tank looked better then it did when I was home. lol. Probably because I wasn't constantly fiddling with this and that.

fletcher2007

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a frfiend that lives a block away that got into the hobby same time i did so i watch his tank for two weeks when he is on vacation then when i go he watchs mine for me

Dave3112

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife takes care of mine while I am gone with my job. She does a pretty good job. After this last trip I took to Germany for 3 months she has learned the value of testing the water often and is learning what to look for in the tank and what parameters are off by the way the corals look/act. I try to keep everything automated as far as ATO and 2 part dosing and lights on timers and so on. That way she can actually take a weekend and go somewhere while I'm gone too. She just has a "fish sitter" come by and make sure the floor isn't flooded and the fish are still alive every couple of days if she has to be gone longer than 4 or 5 days too.

mjaustin22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one, house sitters usually watch my tank when I'm gone. Its pretty automated for about 5 days but then needs top off, but I always worry like crazy.

droblack

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Automate what I can. Have a friend of family member stop by and do frozen feedings, change top-off reservoir, and empty/reset skimmer cup (if possible, complicated to non-reefers). I've learned to let go of tank anxiety, it used to be tough to leave.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 41 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 21.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back