• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Who does fish food better: High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry?

What's better food for you fish. A High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry Food?

• High Quality Frozen

Votes: 424 77.4%
  • High Quality Dry

Votes: 83 15.1%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 41 7.5%

• Total voters

smokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Frozen, but hopefully interested enough in pellets that I can take a vacation and have easier instructions than warm up some frozen mysis :D

Best reef aquarium LED lighting

oldbob50

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Mixture of live (amphipds and copepods), frozen (LRS), home brew frozen (fresh oysters, clams and seaweed), dried (mysis shrimp, plankton and brine shrimp), seaweed sheets, and New Life flakes. The fish are fat, healthy and so are the corals and CuC.

AquariumSpecialty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed both frozen and dry food. I think a good variety is important.
We agree. We use lots of different foods to feed our fish. Frozen, Refrigerated, Pellets, Flakes and nori sheets. I also love this product. Not many people know about it.

bblumberg

View Badges
Reaction score
I feed my reefs with a mixture of Hikari mysis, megamarine and megamarine algae twice a day. The big tank with many herbivores (4 tangs, large foxface, lawnmower blennie) also gets 2 sheets of nori per day. Strangely, one of my clownfish loves nori and the dwarf angels pick at it, too. I also feed New Life Spectrum marine pellets now and then.

chet31

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
My fish prefer both. I alternate everyday and they finish the food quickly

ReefRondo

View Badges
Reaction score
Interesting how many have auto feeders. Is there any information on why Mr Adams is so against frozen food? Is it purely just from a clean point of view?

Steve Fast

View Badges
Reaction score
Frozen shrimp an scallops shredded in a Mandolin soaked in Seclon and Vita-Chem. Then there's romaine, nori, and the frozen clam, lightly thawed, opened and diced with a razor blade. Its a frenzy when they eat... they also know when I coming to feed them. Funnest part of the hobby!

Borg

View Badges
Reaction score
Been switching over to pellets and flakes.

Noticed the fish are fatter.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed live, fresh or frozen in that order. My fish have never seen dry foods and if I threw that in there, I am sure they would just laugh at me and scratch Human slurs on the glass. :rolleyes:

MombasaLionfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I feed both and my favorite thing to feed them is thawed out peas. I also just got a whole bunch of worms for a disposal bin and was wondering if they could eat those because you use them for bait for FW fish.

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

SMB

View Badges
Reaction score
I have yet to have a fish not eat TDO Chroma Boost pellets. From my Mandarin to Gobies to my Flasher Wrasse, they love them.
That said, I like to feed a variety of frozen as well and occasionally live White worms for a treat.

ReefGrammie

Must...stay...away...from...live...sales...
View Badges
Reaction score
I prefer frozen, but I keep my fish used to both. When I go on vacation, I put in an autofeeder with flakes. I usually start the autofeeder several days before vacation for two reasons: (1) to make sure it's working properly and not dumping a ton of flakes in the tank) and (2) to get the fish used to it again. The fish fly to the surface when the autofeeder starts to turn! I also have a magnetic fish feeding ring right under the autofeeder, which is great for keeping the flakes in the tank instead of floating on the surface and potentially ending up in the sump.

Berlibee

Alexey | ReefHacks.com
View Badges
Reaction score
I think this should be balanced. I've shared not a long time ago what we are feeding to our fish and that they breed so well is a good sign that we are doing it right. Take a look when you will have time! Enjoy the weekend! ;Happy

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
High quality fresh followed by high quality frozen. You can't beat what mother nature provides dry IMO.

Corals.com

What is a good measure of success in this hobby? Choose all that apply!

• Tank Grown Coral Colonies

Votes: 277 74.5%
  • Colorful Corals

Votes: 207 55.6%
  • In Tank Coral Reproducing

Votes: 181 48.7%
  • Coraline Algae

Votes: 148 39.8%
  • Established Tank Time

Votes: 128 34.4%
  • Healthy Fish

Votes: 247 66.4%