Who does fish food better: High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry?

What's better food for you fish. A High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry Food?

• High Quality Frozen

Votes: 426 77.3%
  • High Quality Dry

Votes: 84 15.2%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 41 7.4%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
With so many amazing options for fish food on the market comes so many questions! Today I would like to discuss fish food and not just any fish food but the best and most nutritional fish foods. So with that in mind I would love to hear from you!

What food is better for fish? High Quality Frozen Food or High Quality Dry Food?

image via @Omgitsjoe
3reef-meme-contest.jpg

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jake Adams and his horrible rumors strike again. I would need some pretty compelling evidence to profess that frozen foods are bad we should all switch to dry highly processed foods. I didn't see that evidence from him, I haven't seen evidence from the people parroting him since then, that dry foods are the best. Perhaps that will change today.

In any case like above, diversity of foods above all else, I rotate through about 5 frozen foods and have about 10 different pellets, flakes, and dry coral foods in my autofeeder.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With so many amazing options for fish food on the market comes so many questions! Today I would like to discuss fish food and not just any fish food but the best and most nutritional fish foods. So with that in mind I would love to hear from you!

What food is better for fish? High Quality Frozen Food or High Quality Dry Food?

image via @Omgitsjoe
3reef-meme-contest.jpg
First you have to either keep wild caught fish or Aqua cultured species. If wild caught fish, then no frozen or freeze dry food. Many wonder why they have certain diseases affecting their fish in there tanks. Biology 101 says if you freeze anything you're pretty sure of killing it. That's why when you say dry food more likely it's freeze dried. Now if it's sun-dried and of course doesn't go through any x-ray Equipment, better for the wild caught fish. Now if you have aqua cultured fish then dry or frozen shouldn't be a problem they are Hardy.

Moral of the story, fresh never frozen or sun-dried no type of x-ray or gamma rays to kill the natural bacteria missing in dry or frozen foods. Better for while caught fish in our tanks

Freeze dry or frozen foods better for aqua culture fish. Just saying

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a PE Mysis, Rod's Original, Coral and Herbivore (I've still got half a pack of Rod's Oyster Eggs), LRS's Reef Frenzy and Fish Frenzy, Frozen Ocean Nutrition Formula 1 and Formula 2. Got a whole shelf in my freezer for fish foods.

I select a handful of different types at random, mix 'em together and thaw in a bit of tank water, toss it in the fridge, and use that for the day. Generally feed three times, over the course of the day.

I have pellets and flake food, but I use it very,very rarely, and in small quantities, when I do. Usually when we've got kids visiting, and they want to see the fishys eat :)

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My comments are theoretical because I have yet to add fish to my new setup; however, everything I have read leads me to believe frozen/fresh seafood is best. I intend on using LRS, along with the local seafood market. I can see adding pellets with the frozen/fresh seafood for some of my inhabitants.

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best would be lyophilized food but if you don't have it, the next best thing is frozen food , then dried food.
It's a matter of protein and amino acids structural integrity.
Perhaps you could give them some fresh food too. I heard clams have a variety of different nutriments that can be a good diet for us as well.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course u do, you're a crab.;Smuggrin I bet u like chicken necks, too.
HA! Let me clarify, I enjoy feeding my fish frozen food lol!

hotdrop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like frozen more but dosing the same amount daily can be hard. I like consistency of dry as I know where my phosphate will end up after feeding

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think feeding both is better. There is no way any single food has all the nutrition for the variety of species we keep. I mostly feed LRS and Reef Nutrition pellets. I do feed EasyReef mastik and pellets as well. I avoid dry foods using a substantial amount of filler. The Reef Nutrition pellets really color up red/orange fish.

Sharper8583

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that high quality pellet is the best for you fish. With that said I think it also is easier to overfeed and most fish like frozen better. I typically feed frozen.

Terry Mattson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Each morning I mix a little flake, pellets (seaweed and not seaweed), and frozen baby or regular shrimp into a cup of fresh ro di water. Mix and present my fish, invertebrates, and corals a pot pie.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 47.5%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 42 52.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.0%
  • None.

Votes: 21 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 10.0%
Back