Who does fish food better: High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry?

What's better food for you fish. A High Quality Frozen or High Quality Dry Food?

• High Quality Frozen

Votes: 426 77.3%
  • High Quality Dry

Votes: 84 15.2%
  • Other (please post in the thread)

Votes: 41 7.4%

• Total voters

sawdonkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biology 101 says if you freeze anything you're pretty sure of killing it.

I see that you have Dr. in your name, but I don’t think that’s true. Freezing renders bacteria inactive, but it reactivates when thawed.

I feed pellets with a feeder twice per day, I feed a lot of nori every evening, I feed frozen when I’m feeling ambitious, and once per week the tank gets a feast when I feed my eel 5 big shrimp and the fish inevitably get some of that.

My tank is big and I have big dirty fish that aren’t Typically kept in an SPS tank. I feed mostly dry food because it seams cleaner, but My logic could be flawed on that.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my fish will thrive on either quality frozen or dried. Variety is good. But we feed our coral and tanks when we feed our fish. For the holistic benefit of the tank/system, I'm of the opinion that fresh seafood (even if previously frozen) holds more bacteria that ends up benefiting the system. Perhaps that also challenges the fish immune system which can be unpleasant at first, but beneficial in the long run.

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see that you have Dr. in your name, but I don’t think that’s true. Freezing renders bacteria inactive, but it reactivates when thawed.

I feed pellets with a feeder twice per day, I feed a lot of nori every evening, I feed frozen when I’m feeling ambitious, and once per week the tank gets a feast when I feed my eel 5 big shrimp and the fish inevitably get some of that.

My tank is big and I have big dirty fish that aren’t Typically kept in an SPS tank. I feed mostly dry food because it seams cleaner, but My logic could be flawed on that.
It kills 'some'
other bacteria can sporulate (form an endospore) when survival conditions become difficult.
I personally believe in a complex biodiverity.

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you started a reef trying to isolate it from the exterior world with , 'dry rocks and dipping everything'
Then I guess you could worry.
I personally went to every known aquarium around my city and bought a piece of rock and a frag in each of em.
I dumped the things in my aquarium and today I can say my aquarium is healthy.
Symbiosis is most often very specific.
We are too big and can't picture everything in the small world.
Thousands of year of evolution gave our little guys the genetic coding to overcome most of what's out there.
cheers

Magellan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really great thread! All our equipment is about nutrient control and water quality. For that reason, I love flake food because I can turn off my flow, let the fish eat what they want, and then turn the flow back on and everything extra gets immediately sucked out of the tank. I also feed pellets to make sure all the inverts get to eat, (my fish love these as well) and will supplement with frozen mysis at least once a week. My fish are fat, happy, and disease free.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... posted about frozen, but forgot to mention Nori. I buy food grade, uncooked, sun dried nori sheets from Amazon. Feed a quarter sheet every day to my Scopas and Tomini tangs. Several other fish might eat a bite or two, but those two fishes eat most of it.

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both. I find it is difficult to get vitamins (zeo) incorporated into frozen, but very simple with pellet and nori. And zeo has completely knocked out my HLLE. So I do both, about 1/2 and 1/2.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed both, as well as during the summer time live.
Today I fed decapped baby brine shrimp, and I put some red nori on a magnet about twice a week. I noticed my pistol shrimp will also pick at this. I feed the Ocean nutrition marine pellets and I feed Fluval big bites as well as another insect type of pelleted food(I can’t think of the name of this) all of which the two clowns absolutely enjoy.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make my own seafood mix and freeze it in cubes. When I run out of my mix then I have store bought frozen for emergency

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have use frozen in the current tank - nema problema. And if you think that the freezer will kill everything - put a some fresh shrimps in a airtight plastic bag - freeze it - take it out and let it be in the plastic bag for a week - open - ans smell. where did this bacteria come from if the freezer killed them?

Sincerely Lasse

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I make a concoction of a variety of frozen foods, plus dry foods and I add vitamins to it all. This way each fish can pick out what it wants to eat and they all get balanced/enriched nutrition. Frozen allows me to feed more without much worry of the dry food breaking down in the tank before its consumed, leading to extra nutrients in the tank.

I want to try making my own food, but just haven't had the time thus far.

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted other because I feed pellets twice daily but on weekends for nems and foxface/rabbitfish they get littleneck clams (as per Paul B) and nori. Everyone is "fat & sassy"

Bastray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Feeding both is ideal for me. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy with PE Mysis at night and my auto feeder drops a mix of 5-6 different brands of pellets and flake into the tank twice during the day while I’m work. Tank also gets nori most days as well.

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed rods, lrs, San Fran bay frozen. My issue with frozen is 90% is wasted as it's so small even my small fish don't touch it, just floats around the tank and settles on the sand/rock creating nitrate issues and detritus. Pellets, all get eaten. Even if they land on the rock or sand, a crab quickly finds it. So I mostly feed a variety of pellets, nls, hikari, and soon I'm trying tdo.

ruskimax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen mysis and LRS/oyster eggs daily along w Phyto and Pods, pellets every once in a while if I’m not behind on water changes. Reef roids and chili for the polyps. And a chicken sandwich To the face of course.

burton14e7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a cocktail of frozen food that I make every few days, slack in the fridge and then spoon it into the tank once a day. I also have an auto feeder dropping a mix of dry food into the tank three times a day.

Roolin_W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both.

LRS Nano Frenzy for frozen and then either TDO, Pescine or NLS pellets or FD brine.

Frozen and Brine get soaked in Selcon before feeding, pellets don’t as they sink too quickly and my fish don’t catch them quick enough.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed frozen Mysis, flakes and add Nori in the AM. Dry pellets Otohime C1 8 times during the day with automatic feeder. Oyster or clam once in a while when I am at home.
my fish love this regiment.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 70 37.4%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 63 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back